Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Senior Data Engineer
- Location RESTON, VA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD957669
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
At Walmart we help people save money, so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make and drives us to create the future of retail. We can’t do that without the best talent – talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
You’ll make an impact in the following ways:
- Understands, articulates, and applies principles of the defined strategy to routine business problems that involve a single function
- Data Transformation and Integration: Extracts data from identified databases. Creates data pipelines and transform data to a structure that is relevant to the problem by selecting appropriate techniques. Develops knowledge of current data science and analytics trends
- Data Source Identification: Supports the understanding of the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Helps identify the most suitable source for data that is fit for purpose. Performs initial data quality checks on extracted data
- Analyzes complex data elements, systems, data flows, depe dencies, and relationships to contribute to conceptual, physical, and logical data models. Develops the Logical Data Model and Physical Data Models including data warehouse and data mart designs
- Defines relational tables, primary and foreign keys, and stored procedures to create a data model structure. Evaluates existing data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies
- Develops efficient data flows. Analyzes data-related system integration challenges and proposes appropriate solutions
- Creates training documentation and trains end-users on data modeling. Oversees the tasks of less experienced programmers and stipulates system troubleshooting supports
Code Development and Testing:
- Writes code to develop the required solution and application features by determining the appropriate programming language and leveraging business, technical, and data requirement
- Creates test cases to review and validate the proposed solution design
- Creates proofs of concept
- Tests the code using the appropriate testing approach. Deploys software to production servers. Contributes code documentation, maintains playbooks, and provides timely progress updates
- Translates business problems within one's discipline to data related or mathematical solutions
- Identifies what methods (for example, analytics, big data analytics, automation) would provide a solution for the problem. Shares use cases and gives examples to demonstrate how the method would solve the business problem.
Applied Business Acumen:
- Provides recommendations to business stakeholders to solve complex business issues
- Develops business cases for projects with a projected return on investment or cost savings
- Translates business requirements into projects, activities, and tasks and aligns to overall business strategy
- Serves as an interpreter and conduit to connect business needs with tangible solutions and results
- Implements data governance practices in partnership with business stakeholders and peers
- Interprets company and regulatory policies on data. Educates others on data governance processes, practices, policies, and guidelines. Provides recommendations on needed updates or inputs into data governance policies, practices, or guidelines
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and
guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and
building commitment for perspectives and rationales
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business
needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on
improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by
incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others
with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 5 years’ experience in
software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 1 year’s experience in software engineering or related
2 years' experience in data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Primary Location...10790 PARKRIDGE DR. SUITE 200, RESTON, VA 20191, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, D.C. Metro
National landmarks, museums, renowned restaurants—the D.C. Metro is a hub of activity and culture. It’s also a prime location for the future of tech.Discover D.C. Metro
The Lincoln Memorial
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."
The National Mall
A symbol of freedom and equality, millions visit the Mall annually to relax, enjoy its beauty, visit its museums and find voice.
Escape for a hike in the great outdoors at Great Falls, where the Potomac River spills over steep, jagged rocks through the picturesque Mather Gorge.
Air and Space
Companion to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall, the Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts.
Wolf Trap National Park
This 117-acre park is a majestic natural setting for performances, dining and year-round recreational opportunities like hiking and sledding.
Fishing, boating, campgrounds, mini train, carousel, volleyball courts, golf course, disk golf, snack shop, picnic areas, playgrounds and mini-golf!
Reston Town Center
Shopping, dining, ice-skating and events in a beautiful setting in the heart of Reston.
The final resting place for more than 400,000 active duty service members, veterans and their families, honoring their service to our country.
City of Alexandria
Once among the 10 busiest ports in America, the city's historic character still remains; beautiful 18th- and 19th-century buildings line the Old Town.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth