Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Director, International Strategy
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Business Operations
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD934413
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
INTERNATIONAL STRATEGY - DIRECTOR
About Walmart International
Walmart helps people around the world save money and live better - anytime and anywhere - in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices.
Each week, approximately 230 million customers and members visit approximately 10,500 stores and clubs under 46 banners in 24 countries and eCommerce websites. With fiscal year 2022 revenue of $573 billion, Walmart employs 2.3 million associates worldwide. As part of the Walmart International team, you’ll support our markets & associates — including more than 5,200 of those stores, clubs and eCommerce sites — in 23 of the 24 countries where Walmart operates.
Our international strategy is focused on building “Strong local businesses, powered by Walmart” in some of the world’s most dynamic retail markets across Asia, Africa, and North/South America by helping families save money so they can live better.
We use our size and scale to provide access to high-quality goods and fresh, nutritious food at everyday low prices—while creating opportunities for our associates and small and medium-sized global suppliers. We are committed to sustainability (including Project Gigaton) and inclusion (recognized by Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, Disability Equality Index and Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index).
What does the International Strategy team do?
We are an agile, high impact, high visibility, and highly collaborative team working across a variety of topics, geographies, and stakeholders that…
- Advises International Leadership & Market C-Suite (portfolio strategy, long-range planning, strategic choices for key priorities)
- Develops strategic frameworks (standing up structured approaches to solve business problems, identifying opportunities and optimize processes)
- Supports business development & partnership evaluation (discovering key insights and providing a forward-looking outlook, framing strategic options for key stakeholders)
- Leads special projects (business case development across a wide variety of topics and geographies covering our global businesses)
- Creates executive and strategic communications (internal and external communications including for Board, Executive Committee, and Analyst Meetings)
Who is the team looking for?
You’ll wow us if you bring…
Strategic thinking with a bias for action
- Oversee the implementation of strategic initiatives, including allocation of resources, while balancing long-term strategy and short-term objectives
- Proven experience and resourcefulness to lead research efforts, generate in-depth insights, and develop business cases with clear priorities
- Proactively analyze emerging trends, anticipate related organizational needs, develop strategies for meeting them and ensure the planning process is integrated with the overall business
- Mentor others in the process of devising alternatives and assessing their impact
- Skilled in evaluating partnerships, acquisitions and new business models
Comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to provide direction in uncertain business environments
- Navigate ambiguity, simplify the complex, and develop practical solutions to real problems
- Think critically and systematically about complex business problems and opportunities
- Proven project management experience to deliver multiple/diverse large projects in partnership with cross-functional teams
- Drive cross-functional projects; identify goals, success criteria, assumptions; own discovery of project requirements through deep subject matter expertise, resource requirements and timelines
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and deliver tangible results
Relationship building and influence
- Proven executive presence including building strong relationships with executive teams
- Proven ability to lead collaborative teams and coach/influence partners across multiple geographies to achieve beneficial working relationships and positive outcomes across international markets
- Leverage trust and empathy to influence and drive outcomes without formal authority
Excellent communication skills
- Build a cohesive narrative leveraging fact-based data and insights from multiple perspectives
- Ability to storyline a message and to present in a clear, concise, and meaningful way to senior executives
- Proven experience coaching and developing others to communicate effectively using persuasion and consensus building techniques
Financial acumen and business judgment
- Perfectly comfortable analyzing financial statements; able to partner closely with finance, accounting, and M&A teams
- Understand key strategic decisions and downstream effects within the broader business context
How does the team work?
We are a close-knit team that supports and challenges each other, via:
- Problem Solving - Handling difficult, unexpected, or complex challenges by defining the problem, evaluating options, and implementing effective solutions.
- Learning Agility and Innovation - Curious, adaptive, continuous learning and commitment to a growth mindset. Creativity, smart risk taking, moving with speed, and applying new concepts that improve the performance of the team.
- Flexibility – Adapting to the dynamic needs of our leaders in Bentonville and in local markets; alternating leading and supporting various projects to broaden exposure to new topics and facilitate development of team members.
- Influential Communication - Listening, comprehending, and conveying information to influence stakeholders, enhance clarity, engage and inspire. Tailoring messages to a wide variety of audiences to tell the story using facts, data and supporting anecdotes.
This role is based in Bentonville, AR with some travel in various markets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Statistics, Social Science, Communications, or related field and 5 years’ experience in management consulting, retail merchandising, operations management, or relevant area; or 7 years’ experience in retail merchandising, operations management, or related area.
- Master's degree in Business, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Supply Chain, Transportation, or related field
- 4 years’ supervisory experience within a multinational organization
- 4 years’ experience leading cross-functional finance and/or strategy teams
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Strategy, or related area and 5 years’ experience in retail, strategy, operations management, or
related area. Option 2: 7 years’ experience in retail, strategy, operations management, or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Leading a cross-functional team, Master's degree in Business, Finance, Strategy, or related area, Supervisory experience
Primary Location...701 S. WALTON BLVD., BENTONVILLE, AR 72716-6209, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth