Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Principal Data Scientist - Sr. Manager II - Supply Chain Strategy
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD860890
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
About The Team
Within Walmart we have an organization that is transforming the future of Walmart’s omnichannel supply chain strategy, we call ourselves CENTROID. Our team of industry-leading experts, consultants, and technologists combine exceptional strategic thinking with data science and advanced analytics to solve the world’s most complex supply chain challenges at Walmart’s scale.
Our mission is to design a supply chain that leverages Walmart’s unique advantages to provide a wide product assortment, offer the lowest costs, and build cutting-edge capabilities through transformative initiatives. We’re looking for extraordinary supply chain talent with top-notch quantitative abilities, critical thinking skills, and business acumen to propel Walmart through the next 50 years of excellence and innovation.
We’re looking for a Principal Data Scientist to lead and create initiatives for future strategies across Walmart’s omnichannel supply chain. This is a high-impact, high-visibility role within the organization with expectations to deliver immediate results. In this role, you’ll primarily be responsible for creating a long-term strategy and transformative path for Walmart’s rapidly growing omnichannel business.
- Conceptualize, design, and execute strategic initiatives from start to finish, including cross-functional project management, data collection and manipulation, analysis and modeling, and the communication of insights and recommendations
- Guide team members and build scalable and complex supply chain models and processes to optimize supply chain strategies with the goal of delivering an excellent customer experience while balancing operating cost and asset efficiency
- Simultaneously and independently manage multiple strategic initiatives while ensuring deadlines are met and the desired business impact is achieved
- Develop strong relationships and influence cross-functional areas to implement best practices and execute interdisciplinary initiatives
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams to identify areas of opportunity and drive results
- Ensure continuous alignment from relevant business partners and leaders to gain support for new initiatives and lead change management of existing practices
- Communicate clearly and persuasively via email, verbally, and in presentations to influence decisions across senior leaders from various functional areas
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Bring a high degree of originality and creativity when developing solutions to improve existing business processes within the supply chain, utilizing methods such as statistical analysis, regression modeling, and optimization
- Are adept at dealing with ambiguity and making independent decisions about what data and approach is best for the task at hand
- Excel in communicating with individuals and groups at all levels of an organization
Potential projects include:
- Create models to analyze the Supply Chain network needed to support future sales growth with scenario modeling capabilities to understand the sensitivity to multiple variables; opening, closing, or repurposing distribution centers; conduct scenario analysis to evaluate multiple networks designs and impact to customer experience and cost to serve
- Develop optimization logic and a tool to determine truckload lane strategy for outbound transportation, balancing cost and SLA requirements
- MBA, MS, or PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Operations Management, or Supply Chain Management
- Experience with large dataset mining tools and open-source programming tools (e.g., R, Python, HiveQL, Spark)
- Experience with network modeling tools (e.g., Llamasoft Supply Chain Guru), network optimization, and long-range planning
- Extensive experience or knowledge of supply chain domains and related information systems — distribution/transportation, sourcing, planning, manufacturing, and inventory management
- Retail industry experience
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity — unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions — while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists, and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.As permitted by applicable law, provide evidence of full vaccination as defined by CDC guidelines OR secure approval of medical or religious accommodation for the vaccination mandate., Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 5 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 3 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 7 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Publications or active peer reviewer in related journals or conference, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth