Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Principal Software Engineer - Capacity and Cost Modeling
- Location REDMOND, WA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD837831
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
As a part of Global Platforms Infrastructure Services, you’ll help to build an industry-defining approach to managing multi-cloud and enterprise capacity across all of Walmart’s markets. The team is responsible for helping our internal customers plan and scale for holiday events and other activities through a combination of tactical and strategic approaches to capacity planning. You’ll be responsible for combining data science and machine-learning approaches to predict demand with an outreach model that helps us guide users toward more efficiency decisions related to both cloud and non-cloud computing infrastructure across several private data centers and multiple public cloud providers.
You will be in a position to ensure that critical parts of Walmart’s business are prepared for known events while having ample capacity available to address any contingency. You will be driving data analysis to connect software engineers and the infrastructure teams with the data that enables them to scale. You will be acting as a team lead for data analysts focused on workload classification, cloud computing, predictive modeling, and customer outreach.
The ideal candidate will be an individual who has had experience developing and supporting complex data models at scale, and who can communicate nuance assumptions and data models to several levels of executive management.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you…
- You are a storyteller, visionary and innovator
- You understand data technologies and various tools available to develop models
- You’re customer-centric in spirit and in execution
- You’re comfortable influencing others, leading teams, managing stakeholders, getting buy-in from leadership, and communicating clearly
- You have a test and learn mentality and an agile way of working to improve your team’s products
You’ll make an impact by…
- Conducting industry and competitive analysis to understand Walmart’s opportunities to make better use of capacity through efficiency analysis and by leverage new techniques in cloud.
- Partnering with our Business Partners and Global Technology teams to ensure consistent standards related to cost and capacity modeling.
- Bringing Passion to capacity planning to ensure that Walmart is prepared for any contingency.
- Building a team environment by partnering to solve problems and staying focused till there is a solution
What you’ll bring…
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years' experience in software engineering
- 4+ years in development and/or operations on public cloud
- Experience analyzing data in large-scale data warehouses such as BigQuery, Databricks, or a similar technology.
- Experience leveraging data technologies such as BigQuery, Cassandra, CosmosDB, or Spanner
- Quantitative or engineering background is preferred.
- Platform experience is highly desirable.
- Sound business judgment as well as ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, scope technical requirements and prioritize.
- Must be able and willing to think and act strategically and tactically.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Who We Are
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Primary Location...8461 Avenue Ne, Redmond, WA 98052-3863, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth