Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Principal Data Architect
- Location DALLAS, TX
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD717624
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Working at Sam’s Club means a career without boundaries. There’s always room to grow, to take on another challenge, to roll up your sleeves and contribute, and to find professional rewards for your hard work. Yes, we are a division of the Fortune #1 company, Walmart, Inc. But you’ll quickly find that we’re a company that wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Sam’s Club is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our clubs. Join us and you'll discover why our company is a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
As a Principal Data Architect part of Sam’s Club, you will be responsible for leading the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
What you’ll do:
- Data Source Identification: Understands the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Defines and identifies the most suitable sources for required data that is fit for purpose, referring to external sources as required. Performs initial data quality checks on the extracted data.
- Reviews the deliverables of junior associates and provides guidance.
- Data Strategy: Understands, articulates, interprets, and applies the principles of the defined strategy to unique, moderately complex business
problems that may span one or main functions or domains.
- Problem Formulation: Analyzes the business problem within one's discipline and questions assumptions to help the business identify the root cause.
- Identifies and recommends approach to resolve the business problem. Sets data analytics, big data analytics, automation goals, and deliverables based on the established success criteria and define key metrics to measure progress and effectiveness of the solution. Quantifies business impact.
- Data Modeling: Assembles large, complex data across all data platforms (for example, relational, dimensional, NoSQL) and data tools.
- Builds complex logical and conceptual models and provides guidance to team on physical data models. Identifies and defines the appropriate techniques for exposing data to other systems.
- Reviews and provides guidance and inputs on all data modeling activities to team members. Creates and maintains critical data documentation and metadata that allows data to be understood and leveraged as a shared asset. Assists in defining data modeling
standards and foundational best practices.
- Provides inputs to the architectural design to make best use of the available resources, given goals, and expected loads.
- Applied Business Acumen: Evaluates proposed business cases for projects and initiatives. Influences business stakeholder decision making.
- Translate business requirements into strategies, initiatives, and projects and aligns them to business strategy and objectives, and drives the execution of deliverables. Builds and articulates the business case and return on investment and delivers work that has demonstrable value.
- Challenge business assumptions on topics related to one's domain expertise. Develops new organization-wide processes and ways of working. Teaches and guides others on best practices. Proactively engages in the external community to build Walmart's brand and learn more about industry practices.
- Data Quality Management: Develops and evangelizes data quality awareness. Determines data quality strategy, metrics, and business rules for a business domain to ensure that data is fit for purpose. Sets and evaluates business domain data quality service level strategy.
- Designs and implements operational Data Quality Management (DQM) procedures. Monitors operational DQM procedures and performance.
- Leads data quality initiatives to deliver increased business performance and effectiveness.
- Determines user accessibility and removes or restricts user access as needed.
- Provides recommendations to leadership on needed updates or inputs into data governance policies, practices, and guidelines.
- Data Governance: Establishes, modifies, and documents data governance strategies and initiatives. Provides guidance to business stakeholders, peers, and junior associates on the implementation of data governance practices.
- Helps business leaders understand and interpret company and regulatory policies around data.
- Determines data governance processes, practices, policies, and guidelines. Drives the successful adoption of organizational data utilization. Educates others on roles and accountability for data management.
- Actively participates in external communities to grow and develop deeper understanding of political and regulatory changes that may happen from a data perspective.
- Data Architecture: Diagnoses the rationality and reliability of conceptual, logical, and physical layers. Selects criteria used to support data processing operations, data flow, and the flow control system.
- Troubleshoots connections between information architecture, information systems, data
architecture, and data delivery systems. Assists with data planning, sourcing, collection, and transformation.
- Tests the effectiveness of the database before release for business use. Designs data schemes, object models, and flow diagrams to structure, store, process and integrate data.
- Helps maintain the integrity and security of the database. Provides architectural assessments, strategies, and roadmaps for data management.
- Develops proof-of-concept to validate new architectures and solutions. Examines and identifies database structural necessities by evaluating client operations, applications, and programming.
- Improves system performance by conducting tests, troubleshooting, and integrating new elements.
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business
intelligence, business analytics or related field. Option 2: 7 years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business intelligence,
business analytics or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in data engineering, solution
architecture, business intelligence, business analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data architecture/software architecture/data modeling, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years' experience in software engineering or related field, Relevant industry experience (for example, retail, supply chain, eCommerce, healthcare, etc.), Solution Architecture
Primary Location...603 MUNGER AVE STE 400, DALLAS, TX 75202, United States of America
About Sam's Club
Sam's Club employs about 110,000 associates in the U.S. The average club is 134,000 square feet and offers bulk groceries and general merchandise. Most clubs also have specialty services, such as a pharmacy, an optical department, a photo center, or a tire and battery center.
Sam's Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Free Membership and discounts in fresh produce
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Paid education assistance with college degrees through our Live Better U program
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid time off - to include vacation, sick leave and parental leave
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth