Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Staff Software Engineer
- Location RESTON, VA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD676837
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Here at Walmart, we’re driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of user design and a seamless customer experience. We’re intrigued by the opportunity to engineer the most optimal approach that drives conversions and generates consumer loyalty across every touchpoint of the digital journey.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll spend your days translating requirements into solutions, writing code, collaborating with cross-functional teams and providing us with the insights necessary to think beyond the status quo. You’ll oversee small project teams consisting of other engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor, a subject matter expert who provides guidance and the right tools to get the job done.
Now, imagine doing all the above for the world’s largest retailer. That’s the Walmart experience. Intrigued?
- Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions. Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); directing actions as designated in the plan.
- Assists in providing guidance to small groups of 5 to 6 engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, directions, examples, and timeline.
- Provides support to the business by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; identifying short and long term solutions; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of associate's domain.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; and completing online documentation.
- Participates in the discovery phase of medium to large-sized projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business, and user experience teams.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
You have and can implement big ideas with a positive attitude. You want to be a part of the team to disrupt this industry and you have these main skills:
- Extensive understanding of microservice architecture and design, and best practices around multithreading, networking, offline storage and performance tuning
- Expert level knowledge and understanding of Java, Spring Boot, and experience working with distributed systems and teams.
- Experience with refactoring/redesigning/rewriting existing applications is a plus (We are in the process of redesigning and refactoring of our current system)
- Ability to build products with focus on testability, someone who loves test coverage (well versed with selenium and/or cucumber )
- A disciplined approach to development, code review, testing, documentation, and code structure in a team environment.
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things to the next level and a passion for adopting the latest features in Kubernetes, Java, and Spring Boot.
You’ll really wow us if…
- 10+ years of working experience in Java/J2EE
- Solid experience in large scale distributed systems and event-driven architecture.
- 7+ years' experience in internet-scale distributed technologies (e.g. , Kafka, Mem Cache, etc.)
- Relevant experience with relational and no-sql databases (e.g. MySQL ,Cassandra, GCP,etc.)
- Strong background in algorithms and data structures.
- Expertise in one or more programming languages (e.g. Java, springboot, REACT, etc)
- Strong inclination towards exploring and learning new technologies.
- Understanding of machine learning.
You’ll make an impact by…
- Effectively translating requirements into project parameters while working with agility from cradle to grave.
- Helping cross-functional teams to solve for business problems and develop solutions that enable us to redefine a “best-in-class” customer experience.
- Encouraging the project teams that you oversee to work collaboratively and to aim for insight-driven outcomes.
- Have designed, built, and maintained APIs, services of highly scalable platforms.
- Have experience with Kafka or other high volume-low latency messaging infrastructure
- Have experience with Azure Cloud Stack or other cloud stacks
- Have extensive knowledge of open-source libraries, design patterns and micro-service architecture. Familiarity with CI/CD and unit testing
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Skill Set Additions:
- Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud environments.
- Ability to design for fault tolerance and high availability.
- Have proficient knowledge and experience with Kafka Queues, Cassandra, Solr, GCP, SQL
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following programming Languages: Java, Python, Node.js, REACT, Build Manager (Maven), Distributed Version Control (GIT), Continuous Integration (Jenkins) experience.
- Solid devops skills in troubleshooting live applications, assessing performance bottlenecks of applications running on Linux
- Develop high performance and scalable solutions that extract, transform, and load big data
- Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes
About The Team
Walmart Global Workforce Management analytics group is looking for Senior Software Engineer
to help build next generation suite of applications to have impact on
millions of users.
The individual should be self-motivated, come from a deep application
development background, should have deep domain level understanding of
Workforce management systems or large Analytics data systems
and should possess hands on experience of building customer facing
solutions at large scale. Should be able to collaborate closely with business
and product stakeholder to build next generation cloud-based web
applications. You’ll independently handle high impact, critical software/systems monitoring issues, troubleshoot business and production issues.
Preferred Location :
Preferred location Reston, VA. We are also open to remote location.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Primary Location...10790 PARKRIDGE DR. SUITE 200, RESTON, VA 20191, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, D.C. Metro
National landmarks, museums, renowned restaurants—the D.C. Metro is a hub of activity and culture. It’s also a prime location for the future of tech.Discover D.C. Metro
The Lincoln Memorial
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."
The National Mall
A symbol of freedom and equality, millions visit the Mall annually to relax, enjoy its beauty, visit its museums and find voice.
Escape for a hike in the great outdoors at Great Falls, where the Potomac River spills over steep, jagged rocks through the picturesque Mather Gorge.
Air and Space
Companion to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall, the Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts.
Wolf Trap National Park
This 117-acre park is a majestic natural setting for performances, dining and year-round recreational opportunities like hiking and sledding.
Fishing, boating, campgrounds, mini train, carousel, volleyball courts, golf course, disk golf, snack shop, picnic areas, playgrounds and mini-golf!
Reston Town Center
Shopping, dining, ice-skating and events in a beautiful setting in the heart of Reston.
The final resting place for more than 400,000 active duty service members, veterans and their families, honoring their service to our country.
City of Alexandria
Once among the 10 busiest ports in America, the city's historic character still remains; beautiful 18th- and 19th-century buildings line the Old Town.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth