Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Staff Data Scientist - Computer Vision (Store No8 | Perpetual Inventory)
- Location SEATTLE, WA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD633735
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
About Store No8
We are the incubation arm of Walmart. Store No8 was formed in 2017 as part of Walmart’s larger innovation mission to shape the future of commerce. We pursue big ideas and take risks by stepping outside of Walmart’s core business to focus on leapfrog capabilities across conversational commerce, mixed reality, in-store digitization, and more. Our ultimate goal: fuel Walmart’s core business, create new operational efficiencies, and unlock amazing experiences for our customers in the long-term.
This team within Store Nº8 is helping us understand everything we can about our inventory, in real-time – both what it is and where it is so we are always in-stock and able to deliver on customer needs.
About the Role
As a Staff Data Scientist for one of our Store Nº8’s portfolio companies, you will report directly to the Head of Engineering and lead a small team of engineers, providing direction and leadership for products that will transform the future of retail shopping. This role requires you to have solid machine learning, computer vision and engineering skills. Specialization in quantization of computer vision models and performing inference on low powered devices such as development boards or mobile phones is essential. Working in a fast-paced environment, you will leverage your natural curiosity and inventive problem-solving talents to anticipate the needs of our customers before they walk in the door. You’ll be pioneering technologies that reinvent the customer and associate experience, new ways of working, and new ways of shopping.
If you are motivated by complex, purposeful challenges, a Staff Data Scientist role within the Store Nº8 portfolio could be the fit you’ve been looking for.
What You’ll Do
- Join a newly created team as one of the early engineers and will have significant opportunity to make an impact by prototyping next generation online and in-store inventory experiences
- Lead discovery phases to come up with high level designs, partnering with product management to forecast business and operational issues (impact, criticality, root cause)
- Design, prototype and build new and innovative experiences that leverage the capabilities of computer vision.
- Develop innovation strategies, processes and best practices by leading with internal technical teams and partnering with cross functional teams; developing assessments of key opportunities, documenting, communicating with and influencing decision-makers and executives within the organization; and resolving technology differences across teams through informed discussions.
What You’ll Need
- 3+ years’ experience in computer vision
- 6+ years’ overall agile software development, preferably in one or more of the following areas: AR/VR, inventory tracking, autonomous vehicles.
- Python, Java, Kotlin, and C++
- Experience with three or more of the following frameworks/libraries: PyTorch, OpenCV, Keras, TensorFlow, Cuda, SciPy, NumPy, BoofCV
- Experience with low powered devices such as development boards: raspberry pi, Arduino, Coral, Jetson, etc. or mobile phones.
- Experience working in small teams/incubators
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 6 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...1525 11th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth