Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Senior Data Engineer (Store No8 | Health & Wellness)
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD543153
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
About Store No8
We are the incubation arm of Walmart. Store No8 was formed in 2017 as part of Walmart’s larger innovation mission to shape the future of commerce. We pursue big ideas and take risks by stepping outside of Walmart’s core business to focus on leapfrog capabilities across conversational commerce, mixed reality, in-store digitization, and more. Our ultimate goal: fuel Walmart’s core business, create new operational efficiencies, and unlock amazing experiences for our customers in the long-term.
This team within Store Nº8 is working on healthcare innovations because Walmart’s promise is to help its customers save money and live better. This includes building products that enhance both their physical and emotional wellbeing.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Scientist for one of our Store Nº8’s portfolio companies, your focus will be finding trends in data sets and developing next-generation algorithms to make the data useful for projects within our incubator. Reporting directly to the Head of Health Data Science, you will partner with data science, product, Health & Wellness, store operations, and legal teams. You will need to be a self-starter with bias for action and excellent communication skills.
This is a rare opportunity, moving at the speed of a startup, with the backing and in house data (lots of data) of the Fortune 1 company. You will bridge the art of what’s possible across today’s rapidly evolving healthcare data and informatics landscape.
What you’ll Do
- Join a newly created team as one of the early engineers and have a significant opportunity to make an impact by prototyping next-generation data products in the health and wellness space.
- Collect and combine data from multiple data sources.
- Lead discovery phases integrating with multiple internal systems and teams to ingest data and identify new ideas in the space.
- Contribute to the deployment of data infrastructure and products.
- Write code, create test cases, and proof of concepts. Translate business problems to data related mathematical solutions.
What you’ll need
- Masters degree in EECS or relevant field, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of industry experience in data engineering, database engineering, or similar.
- 5+ years of hands-on programming/development/testing experience (Python, Scala, JS, Java.
- Experience with agile software development life cycles.
- Strong understanding of scalable distributed systems and API integrations.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL data structures.
- Practical experience with cloud services (Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure).
- Understanding of container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Proven experience building and productionizing data products.
- Experience with Shell Scripting, Unix.
- Thrives in fast-paced start-up environment, including balancing multiple projects and dealing with ambiguity.
A plus if you also have
Experience with health care data (claims, EMR) and its regulations.
Contribution to external open-source projects.
Agile experience with emphasis on rapid prototyping.
Perks and Benefits
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 5 years’ experience in
software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 1 year’s experience in software engineering or related
2 years' experience in data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Primary Location...850 Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, CA 94066-3031, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth