Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Principal Data Scientist - Search
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD525457
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
The Search Algorithms team at Walmart is dedicated to the mission of helping millions of customers every day in finding the right products they “need” to run their households, for their kids’ school, or “want” for their favorite activities or hobbies in an omnichannel setup. We are at the forefront of tackling one of the most complex problems in e-commerce at scale. Whenever a user types in a query or browses through product categories on the web site, smart phone or the iPad, our services and algorithms kick in. We learn from billions of search queries and tens of millions of products, to find the most relevant products for our customers while making their experience seamless, efficient, and showcasing the breadth of our growing marketplace of products.
We are a highly motivated group of Big Data Geeks, Machine Learning Scientists and Engineers working on solving sophisticated and high impact problems on Walmart Search. We are building smart data systems that ingest, model, and analyze massive flow of data from online and offline user activity. We use cutting edge machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, data mining and optimization algorithms on search relevance, ranking and conversion optimization.
In this role you will be working in a team of ML scientists and engineers and lead the work on building the next generation Search relevance & ranking solution that caters to the rapidly growing assortment of products on our omnichannel marketplace.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Working with product managers and business teams to understand the business problems, formulate data driven and ML based solutions for improving ranking on Search while solving for cold start and discoverability of our rapidly growing assortment of products.
- Demonstrating up-to-date expertise in Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning and Deep Learning, and apply that towards development, experimentation, and improvement in the Algorithms powering and Search & Browse experiences on Walmart.
- Mentor and guide junior Machine Learning Scientists and Engineers in the team on technical aspects of ongoing projects and initiate future projects.
- Staying current on published data mining, machine learning and modeling techniques competing technologies and sharing these findings with scientists and engineers in the organization.
- Maintaining world-class academic credentials through publications, presentations, external collaborations, and service to the research community.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if:
- You’re experienced with traditional, as well as modern machine learning/statistical techniques, including Regression, Classification, Ensemble Methods, Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning.
- You have strong hands-on development experience with at least one programming language (Python or Java preferred).
- You have expertise in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating, and analyzing large volumes of data using distributed computing platforms.
- You have a Ph.D. with 3+ years of experience, or a Masters Degree with 5+ years of experience, in a computational science discipline with an emphasis on Machine Learning or Data Mining.
- You have experience working on ranking, online advertising, recommender systems, ecommerce or relevant areas.
- You’re experienced with end-to-end modeling projects emerging from research efforts.
- You have an excellent industrial or academic track record of proposing, conducting, and reporting results of original research, plus collaborative research with publications.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 5 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 3 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 7 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Publications or active peer reviewer in related journals or conference, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...800 W California Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94086, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth