Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Senior Software Engineer
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD522617
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
About Customer Backbone
Our team works on all Walmart customer data - online, stores and off-network. We build the data pipelines and statistical data models to process millions of customer events. We work on the data that makes machine learning work outside the lab. We're proud that our work helps customers save money and live better.
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make, from responsible sourcing to sustainability—and everything in between. As a Walmart associate, you will play an integral role in shaping the future of retail, tech, merchandising, finance and hundreds of other industries—all while affecting the lives of millions of customers all over the world. Here, your work makes an impact every day. What are you waiting for?
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture in hybrid cloud environments (On-prem, GCP/Azure)
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Lead and participate in medium- to large-scale projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Provide support to the business by responding to user's questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); identifying short- and long-term solutions; facilitating resolutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
- Lead the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business and user experience teams; and obtaining cross-function approvals.
- Demonstrate up-to-date expertise and application to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provide and support the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Experience building and optimizing BigData data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, Azkaban, Luigi, Oozie, Nifi, etc.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, with at least a B.S. (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related major, Masters in Computer Science or related major, preferred
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Primary Location...600 WEST CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-2486, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth