Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Distinguished Data Architect
- Location DALLAS, TX
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD508037
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
What you'll do...
The Distinguished Data Architect role is a critical position focused on becoming a trusted partner and delivering value through data for our customers. You will use your skills to understand our customers’ businesses and provide data solutions that help solve their challenges. As a Distinguished Data Architect, you will ensure our customers’ data needs and pain points are addressed by providing outstanding service, assistance and knowledge of the Data Strategy & Insight team’s capabilities.
You will solve customer issues with data solutions that positively impact their business by building highly engaged relationships, crafting solutions that solve critical priorities, ensuring our offerings are understood and driving value, serving as a “first line of defense” for data-related topics and by collaborating with our other tech and engineering teams to resolve customer obstacles.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you have…
- Requirements gathering with business stakeholders, domain: agile teamwork, people data, hierarchies of project portfolio work
- Ability to write requirements for ETL and BI developers
- Ability to write designs for data architecture of data warehouse or data lake solutions or end to end data pipelines
- Expert in data architecture principles, distributed computing knowhow
- Intake prioritization, cost/benefit analysis, decision making of what to pursue across a wide base of users/stakeholders and across products, databases and services,
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or electrical engineering with >10 years of experience
- At least >7 years of experience in architecture for commercial scale data pipelines
Bonus points if you have…
- Certified Cloud Solutions architect with hands-on working experience is a plus. It could be AWS/Azure/GCP
- Knowledge of tools like Airflow, Automic, Visualization tools like Power BI, Looker, tableau and languages like Spark, Scala, Python, Java are preferred.
You’ll make an impact by:
- End to end data pipeline design, security review, architecture and deployment overview
- Undertake cloud deployment responsibilities
- Automate reporting views used by management and executives to decide where to invest the organization’s time and resources, and stay up to date on key company initiatives and products as well as technological advancements in the industry
- Problem Formulation: Analyze the business problem within one's discipline and question assumptions to help the business identify the root cause. Set Big Data analytics, automation goals, and deliverables
based on the established success criteria and define key metrics to measure progress and effectiveness of the solution. Quantify the business impact.
- Data Source Identification: Define data requirements for various model types along with data quality guidelines and align with data governance.
- Data Strategy: Develops and executes technical software development strategy using current business roadmap by analyzing competitive industry trends, technology landscape, and plans next gen data strategy to complex business problems.
- Applied Business Acumen: Influence business stakeholders. Translate business requirements into strategies and initiatives and drive the execution
of deliverables. Challenge
business assumptions on topics related to one's domain expertise.
- Tech branding: Proactively engage in the external community to build Walmart's brand and learn more about industry practices.
- Data Architecture: Design, implement, and improve processes in data management. Mentor, coach and provides architectural guidance to multiple teams building innovative applications. Evaluate and apply data warehousing best practices.
- Culture champion: Standardize and build a fact based metric driven engineering culture across the engineering organization. Help hire, upskill and mentor a strong team of architects and engineers. Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics. Pro-actively act as Walmart’s engineering tech brand ambassador
- Data Modeling: Influences the overarching data strategy and vision for data pipelines and data products. Oversees and governs the expansion of existing data architecture and the optimization of data query performance via best practices. Presents and socializes data models to business and information technology stakeholders.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
7+ years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business intelligence,
business analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data architecture/software architecture/data modeling, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 7+ years' experience in software engineering or related field, Relevant industry experience (for example, retail, supply chain, eCommerce, healthcare, etc.), Solution Architecture
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business
intelligence, business analytics or related field. Option 2: 8 years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business intelligence,
business analytics or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in data engineering, solution
architecture, business intelligence, business analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data architecture/software architecture/data modeling, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years' experience in software engineering, Relevant industry experience (for example, retail, supply chain, eCommerce, healthcare, etc.), Solution Architecture
Primary Location...1901 N HENDERSON AVE, DALLAS, TX 75206-7319, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth