Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Data Scientist (Store Associate Technology)
- Location RESTON, VA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD489410
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
We are looking for a Data Scientist to add to The Store Associate Technology Data Science and Data Engineering Team. Are you a hardcore numbers person who would enjoy solving some of business’ toughest challenges by illuminating phenomena and opportunity held within one of the world’s largest data sets? The mammoth scale and volume of our global data is virtually limitless. As a data scientist, you will create insights that influence how we make decisions that have impact at an unprecedented scale.
You will have the opportunity to do your best work while unlocking vast business opportunity by extracting key insights using a wide range of advanced statistical models and machine learning and translating results into goal-oriented business actions. Each day, you will be presented with a variety of new challenges and interesting projects that tap your interests and strengths.
About the Store Associate Technology Data Science and Data Engineering Team:
Our team is chartered with developing statistical and machine learning systems and building a robust platform to enable the application of data science to in-store technology. We work closely with each other, software developers from other teams, and the business stakeholders. Data scientists in our team participate in the full life cycle of model development, which spans from business problem discovery to model deployment and monitoring.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if:
- You have consistently high standards, your passion for quality is inherent in everything that you do
- You’re an inquisitive, out-of-the box thinker who’s continually on the lookout for opportunities to improve and innovate data science solutions
- You have the courage to fail fast
- You have proven ability as a full stack data scientist who develops, optimizes, and scales models for the production environment
- You have proven industry experience of designing, leading, and managing large-scale data science projects and collaborating with data engineers
- You connect the how and why, using your knowledge of data science theories and methodologies to derive the best approach that is fit-for-purpose
- You have a very strong understanding of the fundamental concepts of popular statistical and machine learning models
- You’re experienced with general programing, statistical languages, and deep learning packages used to manipulate data and build statistical and machine learning models at a large scale, such as Python, R, Spark, PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, SQL, and SQL-like query languages for NoSQL databases
- You’re proficient using database technologies, distributed datastores, and cloud computer (e.g. GCP)
- You are organized and have excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills
You’ll make an impact by:
- Participating in the full life cycle of model development, which spans from business problem discovery, data discovery to model deployment and monitoring
- Working with business stakeholders to understand the business requirements and the data available to solve the corresponding problems
- Translating the business requirements to a problem that can be solved using statistical and/or machine learning techniques
- Building datasets from different sources for data analysis and model development, which will include wrangling, cleaning, and pre-processing data
- Conducting exploratory data analysis to understand the patterns and potential business insights exhibited in the data
- Creating data visualization to summarize the insights discovered during the data analysis and communicate them to internal team members and business stakeholders
- Developing statistical and machine learning models to solve business problems and derive actionable business insights
- Working with data engineers to test and validate training and production data pipelines, among other tasks
- Helping deploy models in various formats
- Deriving metrics for model performance monitoring and conduct continuous model performance monitoring (after deployment)
- Presenting insights discovered from data analysis and statistical/machine learning modeling and make recommendation based on the results to internal team members and business stakeholders
- Be proactive and take ownership of the projects and tasks assigned
- Providing and support the implementation of business solutions
- Collaborating with other data scientists and data engineers in our team
- Owning components of a data science project
- Coaching junior team members and share knowledge with the broader team
- Continuing to widen and deepen data science and engineering skillsets
- Living by our Company culture and values
- Adhering to model compliance with company policies and procedures, and supporting company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are?
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2
years' experience in an analytics or related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology or related field. Option 3: 4 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, Master’s degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, D.C. Metro
National landmarks, museums, renowned restaurants—the D.C. Metro is a hub of activity and culture. It’s also a prime location for the future of tech.Discover D.C. Metro
The Lincoln Memorial
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."
The National Mall
A symbol of freedom and equality, millions visit the Mall annually to relax, enjoy its beauty, visit its museums and find voice.
Escape for a hike in the great outdoors at Great Falls, where the Potomac River spills over steep, jagged rocks through the picturesque Mather Gorge.
Air and Space
Companion to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall, the Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts.
Wolf Trap National Park
This 117-acre park is a majestic natural setting for performances, dining and year-round recreational opportunities like hiking and sledding.
Fishing, boating, campgrounds, mini train, carousel, volleyball courts, golf course, disk golf, snack shop, picnic areas, playgrounds and mini-golf!
Reston Town Center
Shopping, dining, ice-skating and events in a beautiful setting in the heart of Reston.
The final resting place for more than 400,000 active duty service members, veterans and their families, honoring their service to our country.
City of Alexandria
Once among the 10 busiest ports in America, the city's historic character still remains; beautiful 18th- and 19th-century buildings line the Old Town.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth