Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) DIRECTOR, SUSTAINABILITY
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Engineering
- Job Function Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD480864
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Are you passionate about sustainability? Are you looking for the opportunity to drive significant and lasting improvements in environmental and social outcomes? We would love to hear from you! Together, we have an opportunity to shape the future.
Since the first Walmart store opened in 1962 in Rogers, Arkansas, we've been dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers. Our business is the result of Sam Walton's visionary leadership, along with generations of associates focused on helping customers and communities save money and live better. This rich heritage defines who we are and what we do today.
Recently, Walmart announced is goal to becoming a Regenerative company. A company that creates shared value for all its stakeholders. Our focus is to accelerate our sustainability ambitions across climate action, nature, waste, and people. And these actions will not only aim to decarbonize Walmart’s global operations, they put us on path to becoming a regenerative company – one that works to restore, renew, and preserve our planet.
Walmart’s Supply Chain is in the process of transforming our Sustainability program, and we are building our organization to align with the company’s goal of zero carbon emission by 2040 and zero waste by 2025 in key markets. We are aligning our operations to support these goals and to operate in an environmentally responsible way because we value the communities, we operate in.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Are very passionate about sustainability!
- Have the experience and skillset to identify and implement environmental footprint opportunities within an industrial and/or fleet operation.
- Developed or executed strategies to address issues such as energy use, resource conservation, recycling, pollution reduction, waste elimination, transportation, education, and building design.
- Engaged with industry organizations and policy makers who advance sustainability initiatives at the national, state, and local level.
As a Director of Sustainability, you will be responsible for developing, communicating, implementing, and executing the sustainability strategy for Walmart’s Supply Chain operations. You will report to the Walmart Supply Chain Vice President of Sustainability.
You will use your sustainability expertise, leadership skills and project management experience to drive sustainable operations improvements within Walmart’s Supply Chain. You will quickly identify and work with key stakeholders to deliver impactful plans, programs, projects, and processes to ensure operations can meet their sustainability goals.
Our ideal candidate pursues sustainability in a way that creates business value and has:
- Demonstrated an effective sustainability management approach. You have used your expertise to help design and execute a coherent, strategic approach to sustainability. Your execution of this strategy incorporated sustainability considerations into the wider business strategy to drive innovation via collaboration, scenario planning and robust prioritization of risk and opportunity.
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with key stakeholders. You recognize that understanding and engaging internal and external stakeholders is core to a successful and sustainable business and requires a more systemic, inclusive approach. You think in fresh ways about who your stakeholders are and how to include them in understanding impacts and managing change. You tap into those within the organization who share your passion to help drive the sustainability mission forward.
- Established and executed sustainability reporting strategies. You have developed methodologies to assess the viability or success of sustainability initiatives. You have created reporting frameworks, communicated meaningful sustainability outcomes and impacts to key stakeholders and have used reporting as a tool to improve sustainability performance.
- Stayed current on state-of-the-art sustainability solutions. You have established relationships with key vendors, industry professionals, professional organizations, etc. You find functional sustainability solutions that enable optimal operational efficiency.
Directs execution of multiple business plans and projects related to the implementation of renewable power & energy efficiency projects by reviewing out-to-bid readiness, close-out documents, punch lists, prototype updates, project construction change directives, materials testing, and special inspection reports; coordinating projects between internal and external business units; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; coordinating work within operating facilities for minimal disruption to business activity; identifying performance standards; approving and managing budgets; and engaging in public relations activities with neighbors, municipalities, public officials, and neighborhood organizations.
Creates strategic opportunities by identifying and evaluating renewable energy or energy efficiency projects; analyzing and interpreting the cost-effectiveness of each project; assessing fit between a project and the energy portfolio; reviewing new technologies; preparing and presenting project proposals to executives; negotiating contracts with suppliers or developers and gaining support and approval.
Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; developing and managing strategic partnerships and joint product development initiatives; providing detailed product development input to new and existing product suppliers; meeting with potential partners and evaluating opportunities; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
Drives and enforces compliance with Sustainability programs and Reporting requirements established by Environment, Social, and Governance (ESG) public disclosures. Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent. Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy. Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Environmental Sciences, Engineering, or related field and 5 years’ experience in environmental services, consulting, engineering, operations, sustainability, or related area OR 7 years’ experience in environmental services, consulting, engineering, operations, sustainability, or related area. 3 years’ supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Project Management, Sustainability - EnvironmentalBachelors: Business, Bachelors: Engineering General
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth