Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Principal Software Engineer
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD471429
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements, translating requirements into technical solutions. Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); directing actions as designated in the plan. Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open-Door Policy.
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
Our mission is to enable Walmart.com to own the largest Organic search market share in retail by building automated, ML based services to manage and influence search ranking and crawl signals.
This Principal Engineer role is responsible for leading design and development of mission critical components of distributed platform, where performance, high quality and precision are revered values.
A successful person in this role will own major components of the SEO platform and services, drive alignment with other teams, guide architecture and technology choices within the team and across Marketing Technology pillars.
This is a hands-on role and so we are looking for an exceptional and experienced coder first. In addition, you will take on a role of either in-house Scala, OOP and Data Pipelines expert, who will help us build systems that are fast, maintainable and elegant, or someone who will take on defining architecture and methodology and bring clarity to broadly defined problems. Ideally you have elements of both.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- 8+ years of experience in software development, focusing on big data processing and distributed systems.
- Proficient in Scala or Java, spark, HQL and SQL.
- Deep knowledge in Hadoop ecosystem, like HDFS, Hive, MapReduce, Presto etc.
- Hands on working experience designing highly scalable, cloud native, customer facing micro services.
- Hands on experience with designing complex NoSQL schemas and access patterns, optimized for large scale, user facing real time service.
- Advanced knowledge of complex software design, distributed system design, caching, design patterns, data structures and algorithms.
- Excellent data analytics skills and ability to explore and identify data issues.
- Ability to explain complex subjects in layman’s terms.
- Experience with distributed version control like Git or similar.
- Familiarity with continuous integration/deployment processes and tools such as Jenkins and Maven.
- Familiar with public cloud technologies in Azure and GCP. (Big query, GCS and Data proc).
- Good to have experience with ETL pipelines, Airflow.
- Some exposure to machine learning and data science is good to have.
- Good to have experience in Search Engine Optimization and Marketing but not mandatory.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Collaborate and work with a geographically diverse team of Product, Engineering, Business and Quality Control professionals.
- Providing technical direction and expertise to the team.
- In this role you will be acting as a mentor and a guide to 2-3 mid-to-junior engineers.
- Looking for exceptional and experienced coder.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
About Global Tech:
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth