Senior Design Researcher
Mentors Associate Researchers and Researchers in day-to-day User Experience research methodologies by providing guidance on project-based
research tasks; and contributing to educational research modules for the User Experience practice.
Acts as user experience research consultant by providing recommendations for appropriate research to inform product development roadmap;
recommending and executing research to inform corporate initiatives; developing and maintaining relationships with Product Management team, User
Experience team, and business teams by serving as the subject matter expert regarding the multi-channel customer; identifying research issues and
monitoring, evaluating, modifying, and validating consumer-based research designs, analyses, and information sources; providing guidance on
project-based research tasks; and contributing to educational research modules for the user experience practice curriculum.
Develops and delivers insights on user interaction with current and proposed designs by designing primary research programs across product
inititiatives (for example, checkout, grocery, mobile)requiring site-wide and key revenue driving pages; using research methods (quantitative or
qualitative); leading, planning, and executing research activities (for example, field studies, focus groups, surveys, usability studies); gathering and
analyzing data; drawing conclusions from data; creating reports and metrics to measure feature performance; providing consumer-specific information
and data to support management decisions; interpreting data and trends; and developing and communicating usability and product improvement
recommendations to Product Management team, User Experience team, and senior management.
Manages the research relationship with contractors, and suppliers by creating requests for proposals (RFPs); reviewing, evaluating, and modifying
user experience research designs and analyses; ensuring deliverables are defined and agreed upon before any work is initiated; providing direction
and feedback to vendors; providing feedback for evaluating accountability and overall vendor performance; reviewing deliverables; and reviewing key
measures with management team.
Drives and recommends proactive broad based, site-wide research programs by understanding business objectives and analyzing customer needs;
developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing user research strategies, plans, and practices; measuring outcomes to ensure
desired results; gathering and analyzing data; drawing conclusions from data; creating reports and measuring performance; providing user-specific
information and data to support management decisions; and interpreting data and trends.
Coordinates, completes, and oversees job-related activities and assignments by developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders;
supporting plans and initiatives to meet customer and business needs; identifying and communicating goals and objectives; building accountability for
and measuring progress in achieving results; identifying and addressing improvement opportunities; and demonstrating adaptability and promoting
Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by hiring and training; mentoring; assigning duties; providing recognition; and
ensuring diversity awareness.
Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by
implementing related action plans; utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy; and providing direction and guidance on applying these in executing
business processes and practices.
The Sam's Club Experience Design team crafts compelling experiences wherever we meet our members and associates—from our clubs, to their businesses, and to their homes. We creatively deliver impact for the web, apps, in-club experiences and associate-facing tools.
We need your Research expertise to support key strategic initiatives throughout the Sam’s Club organization. You’ll help the team define customer needs, then work with our partners to conceive and deliver engaging experiences. You will develop and own research projects from start to finish.
The right fit is someone who is a compelling storyteller, focused on crafting effective experiences in the eCommerce space. We’re looking for a researcher who will dive deep into our customers’ mindsets and help ensure our design solutions are both grounded and validated.
How you’ll spend your days
• Help transform complex problems into easy-to-use designs for our millions of customers and associates around the world. You’ll figure out how to best address our research goals & questions so your partners don’t have to.
• Conduct generative and evaluative research studies in critical-need areas of the business using a variety of methodologies.
• Incorporate research & metrics from multiple sources into your work to deliver actionable recommendations that inform design and business strategy.
• Balance speed of findings with quality and strive to adapt to the ever-changing priorities of our business.
• Stay up-to-date with the latest industry news and developments.
• Present, communicate, and negotiate, and always look for additional opportunities to improve.
• Work without close supervision but seek out and welcome feedback from senior leaders and managers.
Why you’re a great fit
• You’ve demonstrated an ability to plan, conduct, analyze and report out on a variety of user research studies. You have experience moderating live studies and understand how they’re applied in a dynamic organization.
• You have relentless curiosity with the desire to understand the interconnectedness of users, decisions, and actions.
• You can translate insight into action. You help teams understand customer needs, attitudes, and behaviors through your thoughtful & actionable research. Your work informs both strategic and tactical efforts.
• You take a developed and solid research approach when presented with a design or business problem, with action to experiment and learn how to make the experience easier and more delightful for our customer – and you’re excited to work with your peers on your research approach.
• You can manage your time and deadlines, as well as the ever-changing priorities of a large retail organization. You can work quickly and efficiently without sacrificing a consistently high level of attention to detail.
• You exhibit a passion for developing research programs on your own, and you formulate a research roadmap for things you want to learn tomorrow.
• Bachelor's degree in Human Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Design (visual, interaction, graphic, industrial, etc), or related field and 2 years of relevant experience OR Master's degree in Human Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Design or related field and 1 year of relevant experience OR 4 years' experience in user experience, design, or related field.
• 4+ years' experience working with product and engineering teams
• 4+ years' experience designing and conducting increasingly complex user research programs using a variety of methodologies in a corporate environment
• 4+ years' experience applying research insights to creative design
Minimum Qualifications...Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor Degree and 3 years' design research experience OR Masters Degree and 1 year's design research experience OR 7 years' design
Preferred Qualifications...Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Conducting quantitative on-line research methodologies with systems (for example, UserZoom, Keynote), Researching front-end user experience solutions for mobile applications on major smartphone platforms (for example, Android, iOS)
Masters: Econometrics, Masters: Human Computer Interaction, Masters: Psychometrics