Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Data Scientist - Sam's Club
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD374626
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Data Scientists in the Sam's Club Technology division specialize in applying machine learning and artificial intelligence to solve problems across Merchandising, Marketing, Club Operations, Finance, eCommerce, and Security. You will have the opportunity to work with a high caliber team from a variety of disciplines to build new software and radically change our business. Data Scientists work as part of an Experience Team to develop and deploy advanced algorithms at scale. You will support and enable the entire project lifecycle including problem discovery with business clients, algorithmic design, coding, validation, deployment, testing, and monitoring. Data Scientists adhere to agile software development standards through rapid prototyping, iterative development, and incremental deployment of capabilities. Development is performed in Sprints and Data Scientists are held accountable to engineering excellence standards.
- Performs research and applies new techniques and concepts to solve problems
- Understands and translates business and functional needs into AI/ML problem statements
- Develop custom ML models to drive innovative business solutions
- Manages and integrates complex data sets from multiple, disparate data sources
- Writes complex queries and extracts data to build robust data pipelines
- Collaborates with Engineering teams to integrate algorithms into tools, processes, and interfaces
- Performs exploratory data analysis and develops models to identify trends and opportunities
- Builds and deploys reusable services and utilities that can be leveraged by a wide range of applications
- Applies innovative and scientific approaches to augment and automate business decisions
- Proficiency in machine learning algorithms such as multi-class classifications, decision trees, support vector machines, deep learning, and anomaly detection
- Strong understanding of probability and statistical models (generative and descriptive models)
- Ability to run experiments scientifically and analyze results
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and results to business audiences in a comprehensive manner
- Ability to collaborate effectively across multiple teams and stakeholders, including analytics teams, development teams, product management and operations
- 1-3 years experience in building ML based models in a professional environment
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithms, data structures and functional programming
- Experience with Big Data processing (Spark/Bigquery / Hive/ Hadoop/ HDFS)
- Experience with productionizing Machine Learning solutions
- Comfort level with cloud computing (e.g. Azure, Google, etc.)
- Experience with large-scale technologies (Hadoop, BigQuery, Spark, Databricks, etc.)
- Experience with anomaly detection methods and working with imbalanced data sets
- Strong background in Statistics
- Familiarity with Deep Learning algorithms
- Proficiency in coding (Python, C/C++, Java)
- Scripting skills in at least one of the following: Shell, Perl, Python, Bash, or Ruby
- Experience with Performance Engineering including testing, tuning, and monitoring tools.
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field with a minimum of 2 years of experience in an analytics or related role
- OR Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology
- OR a minimum of 4 years of experience in an analytics or related role
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2
years' experience in an analytics or related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology or related field. Option 3: 4 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, Master’s degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
About Sam's Club
Sam's Club employs about 110,000 associates in the U.S. The average club is 134,000 square feet and offers bulk groceries and general merchandise. Most clubs also have specialty services, such as a pharmacy, an optical department, a photo center, or a tire and battery center.
Sam's Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Free Membership and discounts in fresh produce
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Education Assistance from Live Better U - earn your degree for just $1 a day
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid time off - to include vacation, sick leave and parental leave
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth