Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Director, User Experience
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD364670
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Core Services – Item and Supply Chain (CSIS) Technology Product team builds products to enhance the lives of millions of Americans. We create richly compelling digital experiences for customers – whether they are at home, in our stores, or on the go. We build rich experience, tools and services, our 1.2 million employees, thousands of drivers and customer care agents need, to do their jobs in our stores, our fulfillment centers, customer care centers and throughout our entire supply chain to help our customers live better.
The Director of Design, CSIS plays a critical role across all of these areas by leading the Design, Research, Content and Technical writing teams. This role establishes and drives the overall strategy for design and execution of our Supply Chain products. This is a senior-level role with significant responsibility, creativity, technical expertise, and business sense required.
Interactions with users (consumers, associates, drivers etc.), Walmart’s senior business, product and technology executives, to ensure alignment on the process, approach and talent needed to deliver world User Experience, design and services to deliver our enterprise Data Maturity.
You’ll get to deliver human-centered solutions for every activity that makes Walmart the Fortune #1 company in the world.
By innovating on the world’s biggest stage, you will have the chance to shape the future of retail and beyond. If you are motivated by complex, purposeful challenges, being Director of Design, CSIS at Walmart could be the fit you’ve been looking for.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you have...
- Deep experience with Design Language Systems and a clear understanding of brand and systems thinking.
- Excellent visual design skills and a keen understanding of trends in the marketplace – in and out of retail.
- Fluency with the goals and values of Design Research and Content Strategy.
- Ability to communicate concepts to audiences of all levels of understanding.
- Track record of deploying digital tools and services in a fast-moving and changing environment – one that celebrates rapid prototyping and experimentation.
- Experience leading product design process and building strong cross-functional partnerships.
- Ability to produce great work in short timeframes, multitask across different projects and platforms, and adapt to the ever-changing priorities of the business.
- Champion of a design philosophy that is inclusive of all people.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Leading the Design team in a way that respects and nurtures each of its discipline areas while crafting a unified strategic vision.
- Facilitating creative problem-solving across cross-functional partners, particularly engineering, to drive best-in-class thinking from all parts of the organization and seamlessly integrating competitive organizational goals.
- Driving and holding others accountable to create experiences that celebrate and empower customers and associates.
- Proactively soliciting, leveraging, and sharing design research, competitive research, data, and analytics to create full-featured and strategic products.
- Fostering a maker mindset so teams can iterate and experiment collaboratively in order to challenge the status quo, drive new thinking, and improve processes for creating future-forward product experiences.
- Thinking holistically – about the customers using our products, a cohesive design system, and end-to-end experiences.
- Switching gears from deep design thinking to rapid-fire execution.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
- Recruit and develop extraordinary talent, by coaching, managing and mentoring a team of UX and Visual designers, researchers and writers.
- Establish and communicate effective design processes through a strong understanding of user-centered design techniques coupled with practical experience in how a design team should collaborate cross-functionally for maximum effectiveness delivering solutions.
- Juggle many objectives, as a consistent champion for the customer.
- Lead strong teams through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams.
- Apply and further develop your experience in developing new approaches to design based on industry best practices, including agile and lean product development methodologies.
- Drive multi-channel user experience strategy and innovation with successful delivery of product roadmaps
- Gain strategic alignment within and across the organization
- Identify the need for analysis of customer behavior changes (for example, spikes in sales revenues, traffic, abandonment, engagement)
- Manage and approve prototypes, specification documentation and style guides.
- Provide overall direction for design.
Who you are:
- Expert level proficiency in relevant user experience skills, uses professional concepts to resolve critical issues and broad design matters.
- Researches industry innovations and best practices and shares relevant information to integrate new designs into ecommerce environment.
- Ability to adjust from detailed to strategic view and translates findings into potential tactics and strategies to meet functional goals and objectives.
- Comes up with novel design and architecture, processes and patterns for large programs within the organization.
- Reviews and approves design of projects.
- Works with other leaders across the organization to ensure a good user experience across teams.
- Directs multiple teams in the timely generation of multiple solutions to a problem; sets priority
- Provides design feedback that is timely and appropriate to the project's context and that fits within the larger organizational context
- Persuasively communicates design concepts and leads brainstorm sessions with senior and executive leadership through strong sketching and storyboarding ability
- Persuasively communicate design concepts with senior and executive leadership using strong oral and written communication skills
- Directs the development of complex prototypes for communication and research purposes
- Directs user research and site analytics to determine root-cause of usability and/or customer experience issues and to inform the definition of experience design principles and strategy
- Directs competitive analysis that includes experience, technology, and core business insights; extracts and analyzes trends
- Estimates scope and size of workstreams from a cross functional UX perspective and with a larger business context in mind; plans and sets milestones for key deliverables for multiple teams
- Breaks large problems into workstreams and develops a plan that fixes the larger problem
- Understands and represents points of view from all UX disciplines to the larger team and executive leadership
- Compare solutions to industry best practices and evaluates quality of a design solution
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Psychology, Information Science, Design, Communications, English, Writing, or related field and 12+ years user experience design or related field OR 15+ years’ experience in user experience design or related field.
- 6+ years of supervisory experience.
- Master’s Degree in Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Architecture, Business, or related field.
- 12+ years’ experience in software design or related field.
- 6 years’ experience in eCommerce / Supply Chain/ Last Mile delivery or related field.
- 2 years’ experience developing user experience solutions with agile methodology
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth