Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Principal Software Engineer - WEC - Marketplace Engineering
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD342440
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; directing and reviewing design artifacts (for example, proof of concepts, prototypes); writing and developing code; overseeing software design; reviewing unit test cases; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; directing project team and cross functional teams; enhancing design to prevent re-occurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
Leads the work of cross-functional groups of ten to twenty engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short and long term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; directing root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and reviewing and approving online documentation.
Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities and drive resolution; partnering with business to define priorities; identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
Leads the discovery phase of large projects to develop high level design by partnering with the Product Management, Web Operations, Project Management, Business and User Experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to validate ideas. Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning. Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness. Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy. Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
Marketplace Engineering team is in the forefront of building core platforms and services to enable Walmart to deliver vast selection at competitive prices and with best in class post order experience by enabling third party sellers to list, sell and manage their products to our customers on walmart.com. We do this with managing entire seller lifecycle, monitoring customer experience, and deliver high value insights to our sellers to help them plan their assortment, price, inventory. The team also actively collaborate with partner platform teams to ensure we continue to deliver the best experience to our sellers and our customers.
Our team is growing, and we are looking for a highly motivated Lead Software Engineer - BackEnd who is a self-starter and will play a critical role in the design and implementation of some of our core applications that impacts the largest retailer in the world!
In this role, you will lead and help our teams in driving down costs to implementation, championing continuous improvement, driving innovation and mentoring engineers on developing and enhancing our enterprise scale software applications and frameworks.
Your job will include:
- Develop highly scalable services to process millions of requests per day and solve complex software systems problems by leveraging state-of-the-art technology.
- Gain exposure to various technologies used in Marketplace and E-commerce platforms.
- Drive projects of high visibility across the organization.
- Lead team in designing systems and apps
- Leads team projects by reviewing project requirements, translating requirements into technical solutions while gathering requested information
- Designing and developing backend microservices and REST APIs for web applications using JVM ecosystem (Kotlin, Java) and other languages and frameworks (Python, Go)
- Troubleshoot open issues and bug-fixes
- Partner and collaborate with project team and cross functional teams
- Provide leadership to the project team
- Lead the discovery phase of projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, and business and user experience teams.
- Over 8 years of experience in architecting large scale systems with challenges of scalability and delivering sub-second latencies on 99.99% uptime.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies (e.g., XP, scrum)
- Experience in large scale distributed systems and event-driven architectures
- Experience and fluency with relational / non-relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc)
- Strong background in algorithms and data structures
- Expertise in one or more programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, etc)
- Strong inclination towards exploring and learning new technologies
- Proven understanding of micro-services oriented architecture and extensible REST APIs
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands on experience with public or private cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GAE, Azure)
- Advanced knowledge of performance, scalability, and system architecture with an eye toward avoiding and reducing technical debt.
- Understanding of machine learning
Nice To Have
- Previous experience in the marketplace domain
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software engineering or related field. 2 years’ supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Masters
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth