Senior Software Engineer - Technology
- Location RESTON, VA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD289053
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Each year, billions of dollars’ worth of products are returned to Walmart and the Claims software team is responsible for determining the best deposition for these products as well as communicating between Walmart and each supplier/vendor responsible for the products. It’s a big piece of software with 10 microservices that is very important to the Walmart ecosystem. On any given day, this team processes over 5 Million transactions and over 100K Walmart associates use the application.
The ideal candidate has a deep interest and passion for technology, is a fast learner who looks upon learning as a continuing experience and is eager to share knowledge and instill best practices within the team. S(he) has strong problem solving, analytic, decision-making and excellent communication with interpersonal skills and is self-driven and motivated to work in a fast-paced, results-driven agile environment with varied responsibilities.
What You'll Do:
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; enhancing design to prevent re-occurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Leads the work of other small groups of 4 to 6 engineers for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
- Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities; addressing high-priority initiatives (for example, business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives
- Utilizes industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; bench marking industry against internal processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines, standards and processes. Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; coaching for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness. Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy. Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
What You'll Bring (Preferred Qualifications):
- Experience building highly scalable, high performant web services using Java, Spring, Spring Boot
- Experience with web/app containers such as Tomcat, Jetty
- Strong knowledge in data structures, RDBMS, NoSQL databases like Cassandra, Azure Cosmos DB, Azure SQL
- Experience in Agile Methodology
- Experience leading colleagues in multiple project streams including capturing requirements, assigning tasks, managing issues, code reviews and presentation to stakeholders.
- Ability to drive end to end architecture and design in an environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience developing tools and applications with high throughput, low-latency
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms
- Proficiency with Large scale distributed systems experience is a plus
- Experience with streaming technologies like Kafka
- Experience mentoring junior engineers, taking responsibility of and driving end-to-end execution of the projects is a plus
Additional Preferred Qualifications (Nice to Haves)
- Solid understanding of GitHub and open source development culture in general.
- Experience with e-commerce a huge-plus
- A passion for all things Web, including but not limited to, managing applications in the cloud, building and maintaining RESTful APIs, database design, development and maintenance, performance, analytics and monitoring.
- Experience building real-time data pipelines using Kafka
- Experience with large scale data processing using Spark
- Experience with Functional Programming.
- Experience with Scala, Clojure, Go
- Experience working in Azure, GCP
- Experience working with Docker Containers, Kubernetes
- Experience building services following Domain Driven Design principles
- Experience working in GraphQL, GRPC
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor of Science and 5 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science 2 years' experience in software engineering
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Building system requirements, Information Technology, Project Management, TroubleshootingInformation Technology - CISCO Certification - Certification
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, D.C. Metro
National landmarks, museums, renowned restaurants—the D.C. Metro is a hub of activity and culture. It’s also a prime location for the future of tech.Discover D.C. Metro
The Lincoln Memorial
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."
The National Mall
A symbol of freedom and equality, millions visit the Mall annually to relax, enjoy its beauty, visit its museums and find voice.
Escape for a hike in the great outdoors at Great Falls, where the Potomac River spills over steep, jagged rocks through the picturesque Mather Gorge.
Air and Space
Companion to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall, the Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts.
Wolf Trap National Park
This 117-acre park is a majestic natural setting for performances, dining and year-round recreational opportunities like hiking and sledding.
Fishing, boating, campgrounds, mini train, carousel, volleyball courts, golf course, disk golf, snack shop, picnic areas, playgrounds and mini-golf!
Reston Town Center
Shopping, dining, ice-skating and events in a beautiful setting in the heart of Reston.
The final resting place for more than 400,000 active duty service members, veterans and their families, honoring their service to our country.
City of Alexandria
Once among the 10 busiest ports in America, the city's historic character still remains; beautiful 18th- and 19th-century buildings line the Old Town.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents