Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Staff, Software Engineer - Item and Inventory
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Engineering and Architecture
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1719633
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
The Item File Operations team is responsible for ensuring the systems that allow Walmart Global and Sam's International to create, maintain, and administrate item data are fully operational and working within defined SLAs. This data is foundational to all we do at Walmart, and the data is used in our Ordering, Replenishment, Supply Chain, Stores, e-Commerce, and Financial systems to name just a few.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Item File team, you will be responsible leading a team that maintains and updates a large, complex ecosystem consisting of a wide-range of technologies.
On the Item and Inventory team, we ensure our customers get their orders when and where they want them, in a frictionless, predictable manner. What's more, we create reusable SaaS products and services that manage our catalog and power end-to-end inventory management, including replenishment, fulfillment, and transportation. With end-to-end inventory management, from replenishment and fulfillment to transportation, we give our drivers and partners the tools they need to get the right items to customers on time and in the right packaging.
What you'll do:
Some of the job duties for the Staff Software Engineer position include:
- Leading the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by:
- providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples;
- identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline;
- reviewing and approving proposed solutions;
- implementing new architectural patterns;
- and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Troubleshooting business and production issues by
- reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause);
- engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues;
- formulating an action plan;
- directing actions as designated in the plan;
- interpreting the results to determine further action;
- performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues;
- and completing online documentation.
- Leading the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by
- partnering with the product management, Web Operations, project management, business and user experience teams;
- obtaining cross-function approvals;
- driving proof-of-concept;
- and implementing prototypes to validate ideas.
- Developing innovation strategies, processes, and best practices by
- leading internal technical teams;
- partnering with cross-functional teams across the business;
- developing assessments of key opportunities;
- documenting project scopes;
- developing long-range plans and project timelines;
- communicating with and influencing decision-makers and executives within the organization;
- and resolving technology differences across teams through informed discussions.
- Leading and participating in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by
- reviewing project requirements;
- translating requirements into technical solutions;
- gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames);
- writing and developing code;
- conducting unit testing;
- communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders;
- collaborating with project team and cross functional teams;
- troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes;
- enhancing design to prevent re-occurrences of defects;
- ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs;
- interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan;
- and providing leadership to the project team.
What you'll bring:
In order to be successful in this role, you will need to have:
- The ability to lead others by being able to discern priorities based on urgency/impact, and direct team members to solutions within defined SLAs
- The ability to clearly communicate with a wide variety of audiences, including technical teams, business support teams, technical leadership, and business leadership.
- The ability to find, document, and drive solutions to issues by using your knowledge of systems and business processes, and working seamlessly with other technology teams to accomplish those goals
- Expert level skills (ability to code, test, troubleshoot) on the following technologies:
- Languages: COBOL, Java, JCL, CICS, Spring/Springboot
- Databases: DB2, Informix, AzureSQL, Cassandra
- Messaging Systems: Kafka, IBM MQ
- Extensive experience with DevOps best practices (code/test/build/deploy/validate).
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and 4 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.Option 2: 6 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Software Engineering, or related area and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related area
Primary Location...805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth