Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Lead Counsel - Walmart+ Membership Legal
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Legal
- Job Function Legal
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1711189
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Imagine a position that allows you to apply your trusted legal expertise while working alongside the world’s largest retailer. Imagine an opportunity where your knowledge takes you beyond the courtroom and positions you as a trusted business advisor. At Walmart, our Lead Counsels drive strategy while empowering the organization to make informed decisions that align to enterprise objectives. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy solving problems and working collaboratively toward a solution, you’ll find that being a part of our Legal division is a move that brings with it tremendous growth potential and exciting new challenges. The most exciting part? You’ll likely find yourself in a place you never envisioned your law degree would take you.
Join the Walmart+ Membership Legal Team to partner with business, operations, product, engineering & compliance leadership as we seek new and unique benefits to provide to our members and grow Walmart+ membership. This Lead Counsel role is critical to the growth of Walmart’s membership program. You will provide legal guidance for transactions, membership operations, marketing, product and engineering, and compliance, and will collaborate with numerous cross functional teams to mitigate legal and compliance risk.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Providing support in the following areas:
- Consumer protection: Provides advice and counsel to SVP and VP level clients related to federal and state statutes, including the FTC Act (prohibiting unfair or deceptive acts or practices), the Restore Online Shoppers Confidence Act (regarding how consumers can be charged for goods or services on the internet), state auto-renewal laws, and related regulatory issues for Walmart+ Operations; works closely with Product and Design organizations to ensure customers are properly informed about products and services delivered as part of Walmart+ membership to mitigate consumer protection risks;
- Commercial transactions: takes lead on structuring, drafting and negotiating complex agreements with Fortune 100 companies in order to embed Walmart+ membership into such party's loyalty program, or for such companies to provide their products or services as a component benefit of the Walmart+ program;
- Regulatory: works with subject matter experts in Legal and Compliance to ensure regulatory compliance of products developed for the benefit of Walmart+ programs;
- Marketing: Reviews initial Walmart+ marketing materials to ensure proper messaging and coordinates with Legal subject matter experts to approve such marketing.
- Providing legal advice to the company by providing clients with an informed understanding of the client's legal rights, obligations, and risks to allow the client to make informed decisions
- Identifying the need for and overseeing outside legal support for business transactions and projects
- Leveraging technology to streamline processes, communication and workflows.
- Developing business best practices and procedures that will mitigate corporate risk
- Successfully collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to encourage and continue proactive engagement of in-house counsel
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- You have significant experience supporting a membership based loyalty program, including a detailed understanding of the FTC Act, ROSCA, and 30+ state auto-renewal laws.
- You have previous commercial transactional experience;
- You have substantial, diverse legal experience (ex. combination of in-house, government, leading law firm, etc.)
- You empower your business partners while working collaboratively to achieve cross-functional goals
- You work proactively and leverage preventative measures in the spirit of protecting stakeholders, customers and employees
- You have a proven track record of risk identification, assessment, and mitigation
- You empower other members of the Legal team to operate with autonomy while adhering to the standards that have come to define the Walmart brand.
- You have strong communication skills to interact with senior leadership and stakeholders
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Law degree from an accredited law school and 6 years’ experience in law.
License to practice law in at least one state.
2 years’ experience leading cross-functional teams.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Primary Location...9440 TBA, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716-0001, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth