Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Principal, Data Analyst – Data Ventures
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Job Function Data Analytics
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1710165
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
As a Principal Data Analyst, you will lead a team of analysts and take ownership of project delivery and responsibilities playing a prominent technical role to help build data centric insights and product features. You will work closely with product stakeholders and deliver outstanding business outcomes. Provide leadership with constant updates and align with directions and expectation.
Must have the following to be considered: SQL, Python, R, Looker, PowerBI, SQL, NoSQL, Big Data and Cloud technologies like GCP BQ.
About Team: Data Ventures
Data Ventures, akin to a nimble startup incubated within Walmart is building the best-in-class suite of Data Products to deliver actionable, customer-centric insights and help merchants and suppliers make better business decisions on omni channel 360 performance.
What you'll do:
- Data Source Identification: Requires knowledge of Functional business domain and scenarios; Categories of data and where it is held; Business data requirements; Database technologies and distributed datastores (e.g. SQL, NoSQL); Data Quality; Existing business systems and processes, including the key drivers and measures of success. To support the understanding of the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Help identify the most suitable source for data that is fit for purpose. Perform initial data quality checks on extracted data.
- Tech. Problem Formulation: Requires knowledge of Analytics/big data analytics / automation techniques and methods; Business understanding; Precedence and use cases; Business requirements and insights. To translate/ co-own business problems within one's discipline to data related or mathematical solutions. Identify appropriate methods/tools to be leveraged to provide a solution for the problem. Share use cases and gives examples to demonstrate how the method would solve the business problem.
- Understanding Business Context: Requires knowledge of Industry and environmental factors; Common business vernacular; Business practices across two or more domains such as product, finance, marketing, sales, technology, business systems, and human resources and in-depth knowledge of related practices; Directly relevant business metrics and business areas. To evaluate proposed business cases for projects and initiatives. Translate business requirements into strategies, initiatives, and projects and aligns them to business strategy and objectives and drives the execution of deliverables. Build and articulate the business case and return on investment and delivers work that has demonstrable value. Challenge business assumptions on topics related to one's domain expertise. Mentor the team members on new business insights and allied developments. Proactively engage in the external community to build Walmart's brand and learn more about industry practices.
- Data Visualization: Requires knowledge of Visualization guidelines and best practices for complex data types; Multiple data visualization tools (for example, Python, R libraries, GGplot, Matplotlib, Ploty, Tableau, PowerBI etc.); Advanced visualization techniques/ tools; Multiple story plots and structures (OABCDE); Communication & influencing technique; Emotional intelligence. To identify and recommend the most suitable visualization tools based on context. Generate appropriate graphical representations of data and model outcomes. Understand customer requirements to design appropriate data representation for complex data sets and drive User Experience designers and User Interface engineers to build front end applications. Define application design based on customer requirements. Build compelling stories based on context to integrate multiple pieces of information into cohesive insights. Present to and influence diverse audiences using the appropriate data visualization frameworks and conveys clear messages through deep business and stakeholder understanding. Customize communication style based on stakeholders and leverages relationships to drive behavioral change. Guide and mentor junior associates on story types, structures, and techniques based on context.
- Exploratory Data Analysis: Requires knowledge of relevant Knowledge Discovery in Data (KDD) tools, applications, or scripting languages such as SQL, Oracle, Apache Mahout, MS Excel, Python; Statistical techniques (for example, mean, mode, median, variance, standard deviation, correlation, and sorting and grouping); Research analysis standards and activities; Documentation procedures such as drafting, editing, Bibliography format; Relevant Knowledge Discovery in Data (KDD) tools, applications, or scripting languages such as SQL, DB, SAS, Oracle, Apache Mahout, MS Excel, Python; KDD industry best practices and emerging trends. To promote the value of Knowledge Discovery in Data (KDD) for business managers. Identify and applies suitable KDD tool basis business requirement. Guide junior team members on tools and techniques. Stay abreast of best practices in KDD techniques. Test and evaluate multiple solutions, methods, and models to determine accuracy, validity, and applicability. Establish standards for application and interpretation of statistical data. Conduct statistical experiments (for example hypothesis tests, confidence intervals) and builds statistical models using packages like Statistical Analysis Systems (SAS). Design, write, and publish numerous research documents on diverse topics. Consult on complex situations to test hypotheses, anticipate pitfalls, prevent false conclusions, and advise others on avoiding them. Provide insights to the business based on research findings.
- Data Strategy: Requires knowledge of understanding of business value and relevance of data and data enabled insights / decisions; Appropriate application and understanding of data ecosystem including Data Management, Data Quality Standards and Data Governance, Accessibility, Storage and Scalability, etc.; Understanding of the methods and applications that unlock the monetary value of data assets. To Understand, articulate, interpret, and apply the principles of the defined strategy to unique, moderately complex business problems that may span one or main functions or domains.
- Data Quality Management: Requires knowledge of Data quality management techniques and standards; Business metadata definitions and content data definitions; Data profiling tools, data cleansing tools, data integration tools, and issues and event management tools; Understanding of user's data consumption, data needs, and business implications; Data modeling, storage, integration, and warehousing; Data quality framework and metrics; User access best practices; Enterprise data architecture, modeling and design, storage, integration, and warehousing; Enterprise data quality framework and metrics; Enterprise data strategy; Enterprise data quality strategy; Enterprise strategy to address regulatory and ethical requirements and policies around data privacy, security, storage, retention, and documentation. To promote and educate others on data quality awareness. Profile, analyze, and assess data quality. Test and validate data quality requirements. Continuously measure and monitor data quality. Deliver against data quality service level agreements. Manage operational Data Quality Management procedures. Manage data quality issues and leads data cleansing activities to remove data quality defects, improve data quality, and eliminate unused data. Determine user accessibility and removes or restricts user access as needed. Interpret company and regulatory policies on data. Educate others on data governance processes, practices, policies, and guidelines.
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance; accordingly, developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
What you'll bring:
Translate complex business requirements into clear, concise data analysis plans and develop appropriate methodologies to address business needs.
• Analyze large and complex datasets to identify insights and opportunities that drive business value, use data to propose solutions.
• Effectively communicate insights and recommendations to business stakeholders through visualizations, presentations, and other storytelling methods.
• Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the retail industry, including the knowledge of retail operations (sales, inventory, etc.), customer data and behavior, supply chain management, as well as e-commerce (website and app traffic analysis).
• Lead a team of data analysts in managing their workloads, delegating tasks, making sure their work is aligned with business goals, and providing guidance on data analysis methodologies and techniques.
• Partner with product managers, data scientists, data engineers, as well as internal data source teams to ensure that data analysis work is properly scoped, planned, and executed.
• Ensure the quality, governance, and standards of data by developing and implementing data management policies and procedures.
• Understand business value and relevance of data and help build data enabled insights; Work on Strategy for data ecosystem including Data Management, Data Quality Standards and Data Governance, Accessibility, Storage and Scalability, etc.
• Passion for problem-solving, come with Analytical mindset with critical-thinking, and data skills.
• Strong technical skills in SQL, Python, R, or other programming languages commonly used in data analysis.
• Awareness of software engineering principles, ability to develop and deploy appropriate analytic code.
• Well-versed experience in visualization tools and best practices like Looker, PowerBI etc.
• Experience working with large datasets, finding insights, and telling stories using data.
• Comprehensive knowledge in working with distributed datastores (e.g., SQL, NoSQL), and Big Data and Cloud technologies like GCP BQ.
• Experience in leading and mentoring a team of data analysts.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
• (Strongly preferred) Prior experience working in the retail data sets
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Arts, Finance or related field and 4 years' experience in data analysis, data science, statistics, or related field. Option 2: Master's degree in Business, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2 years' experience in data analysis, data science, statistics, or related field. Option 3: 6 years' experience in data analysis, data science, statistics, or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, data analysis, statistics, or related field, Master’s degree in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field, Related industry experience (for example, retail, merchandising, healthcare, eCommerce), Successful completion of assessments in data analysis and Business Intelligence tools and scripting languages (for example, SQL, Python, Spark, Scala, R, Power BI, or Tableau)
Primary Location...2501 Se J St, Ste A, Bentonville, AR 72716-3724, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
"The people you work with are ready to help without hesitation to make sure you succeed, it’s just part of the culture."
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth