Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Staff Software Engineer-Cloud Storage Solutions
- Location RESTON, VA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Engineering and Architecture
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1648096
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Reporting to Sr Manager of Cloud Engineering, a Staff Software Engineer works closely with Infrastructure Engineering, Application Development and Operations teams to provide highly available and fault tolerant cloud storage services.
Using various automated tools, you will provide scalable and reliable storage solutions to manage Public and Private clouds within multiple disparate cloud infrastructures. You will develop data insights by utilizing data analytics solutions and drive optimal utilization of storage. While Engineering interaction remains main focus of the Staff Software Engineer role, working with customers to deploy cloud-based services to analyze and improve storage efficiencies based on utilization, performance, and TCO will be critical.
Additionally, the Staff Software Engineer will own tasks to designing, interfacing with Enterprise Architects, developers and support to escalate, reproduce, validate, debug or deploy software. You will also be working with other platform teams to help integrate our services into the larger ecosystem. You will identify opportunities in the ecosystem that will help us to unlock higher value for our service offerings. You will be part of a team of highly motivated engineers who work very well together.
What you’ll do
- Design, implement, communicate, evangelize, advocate for, optimize and document private cloud based Cloud Storage solutions using Ceph
- Build, tune, troubleshoot block and object storage systems in high availability Ceph storage clusters
- Design automation for storage optimization and other processes on private cloud platforms
- Drive significant architectural decisions about the next iterations of our Private Cloud infrastructure that will improve efficiency and reduce Cloud Storage spend
- Enable Application teams to follow best practices to deploy on Cloud Platforms and optimize Storage spend and improve efficiency and performance based on utilization with Ceph
- Breach the communication gap between Infrastructure (Cloud) and Applications
- Participate in a 12x7 on-call rotation
- Create and maintain technical documentation for operational readiness
- Design and maintain cloud storage best practices
- Become a solid contributor on our team, and build, extend and maintain some of the key infrastructure that powers our Private Cloud platform
- Provide troubleshooting expertise for storage performance and other issues
- Train and educate others within Technology about Cloud technologies.
- Solve business needs by evaluating different storage technology options and vendor products.
- Develop and integrate provisioning and lifecycle tools for storage services components
- Contribute to an environment that promotes and reinforces the highest standards of integrity and
- Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity
- Adapt to competing demands and shifting priorities
What you’ll bring
In addition to being technically sound, results driven with a strong operational background and impressive analytical ability, you will need the following to be successful:
- 3+ years of experience supporting large scale, highly available, production Cloud Storage deployments with Ceph
- Strong familiarity with any combination of OpenStack/Kubernetes/Rook with Ceph as an underlying storage solution
- Experience in programming, scripting and development
- Python or Shell Scripting
- Experience with Linux Administration and System Troubleshooting
- Networking concepts and administration TCP/IP, routing, switching, VLANs, Load balancing
- Experience using source control systems (git)
- Experience in configuration management tools like Ansible/Puppet/Chef
- Experience with Containers (Kubernetes, Docker, etc.)
- Experience in Architecting infra solutions for applications
- Experience with monitoring, reporting tools and data analytics
- Good understanding of clustered/distributed systems
- Apply best practice and team standards while meeting service level objectives
- Experience working with cloud deployments (scaling, resiliency, load balancing etc) and solid understanding of Service Monitoring, KPI, SLA, Disaster Recovery
- Deep experience with the Linux ecosystem, automation of common tasks, and configuration of systems monitoring tools
- Experience with capacity/performance management, monitoring and tuning
- Experience with firewalls, VPN, routing, switching, load balancers, monitoring, security and DNS
- Knowledge of systems management concepts, processes and standards
- Experience with Network Storage, Replication and Backups (SAN, iSCSI, NFS, etc.) is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills to coordinate with other organizations across the business while managing customer expectations.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS or similar field of study OR work equivalent
- Work equivalent to 8+ years of experience
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
At Walmart, we offer competitive pay as well as performance-based incentive awards and other great benefits for a happier mind, body, and wallet. Health benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage. Financial benefits include 401(k), stock purchase and company-paid life insurance. Paid time off benefits include PTO (including sick leave), parental leave, family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting. Other benefits include short-term and long-term disability, company discounts, Military Leave Pay, adoption and surrogacy expense reimbursement, and more.You will also receive PTO and/or PPTO that can be used for vacation, sick leave, holidays, or other purposes. The amount you receive depends on your job classification and length of employment. It will meet or exceed the requirements of paid sick leave laws, where applicable. For information about PTO, see https://one.walmart.com/notices .Live Better U is a Walmart-paid education benefit program for full-time and part-time associates in Walmart and Sam's Club facilities. Programs range from high school completion to bachelor's degrees, including English Language Learning and short-form certificates. Tuition, books, and fees are completely paid for by Walmart.Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart at https://bit.ly/3iOOb1J .The annual salary range for this position is $112,000.00-$192,000.00Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives.Additional compensation for certain positions may also include:- Regional Pay Zone (RPZ) (based on location)- Stock equity incentives
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and 4 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.Option 2: 6 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Software Engineering, or related area and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related area
Primary Location...10790 PARKRIDGE DR. SUITE 200, RESTON, VA 20191, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, D.C. Metro
National landmarks, museums, renowned restaurants—the D.C. Metro is a hub of activity and culture. It’s also a prime location for the future of tech.Discover D.C. Metro
The Lincoln Memorial
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."
The National Mall
A symbol of freedom and equality, millions visit the Mall annually to relax, enjoy its beauty, visit its museums and find voice.
Escape for a hike in the great outdoors at Great Falls, where the Potomac River spills over steep, jagged rocks through the picturesque Mather Gorge.
Air and Space
Companion to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall, the Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts.
Wolf Trap National Park
This 117-acre park is a majestic natural setting for performances, dining and year-round recreational opportunities like hiking and sledding.
Fishing, boating, campgrounds, mini train, carousel, volleyball courts, golf course, disk golf, snack shop, picnic areas, playgrounds and mini-golf!
Reston Town Center
Shopping, dining, ice-skating and events in a beautiful setting in the heart of Reston.
The final resting place for more than 400,000 active duty service members, veterans and their families, honoring their service to our country.
City of Alexandria
Once among the 10 busiest ports in America, the city's historic character still remains; beautiful 18th- and 19th-century buildings line the Old Town.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth