Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Staff Data Scientist (Store No.8)
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1643367
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
What you'll do...
About Store No8
We are the incubation arm of Walmart. Store No8 was formed in 2017 as part of Walmart’s larger innovation mission to shape the future of commerce. We pursue big ideas and take risks by stepping outside of Walmart’s core business to focus on leapfrog capabilities across conversational commerce, mixed reality, in-store digitization, and more. Our ultimate goal: fuel Walmart’s core business, create new operational efficiencies, and unlock amazing experiences for our customers in the long-term.
About the Role
As a Staff Data Scientist for one of our Store Nº8’s portfolio companies, your focus will be finding trends in data sets and developing next-generation algorithms to make the data useful for projects within our incubator to create new customer experience. You will partner with engineering, product, business, UX/UI, and operations. You will need to be a self-starter with a bias for action and excellent communication skills.
This is a rare opportunity, moving at the speed of a start-up, with the backing and in house data (lots of data) of the Fortune 1 company. You will bridge the art of what’s possible across today’s rapidly evolving consumer & food landscape.
What You Will Do:
- Data Strategy: Understands, articulates, and applies principles of the defined strategy to business problems
- Data Source Identification: Supports the understanding of the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Helps identify the most suitable source for data that is fit for purpose. Performs initial data quality checks on extracted data
- Problem Formulation: Translates business problems within one's discipline to data related or mathematical solutions. Identifies what methods (for example, analytics, big data analytics, automation) would provide a solution for the problem. Shares use cases and gives examples to demonstrate how the method would solve the business problem.
- Analytical Modeling: Selects appropriate modeling techniques for complex problems with large scale, multiple structured and unstructured data sets. Conducts exploratory data analysis activities (for example, basic statistical analysis, hypothesis testing, statistical inferences) on available data. Creates continuous, online model learning along with iterative model enhancements. Develops newer techniques (for example, advanced machine learning algorithms, auto ML) by leveraging the latest trends in AI/ML to train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Model Assessment & Validation: Identifies the model evaluation metrics. Applies best practice techniques for model testing and tuning to assess accuracy, fit, validity, and robustness for multi-stage models and model ensembles.
What You Will Need:
- Master’s or PhD degree in STEM or relevant filed; Math, Statistics, Data Science, Analytics, AI/ML, Computer Science, Software/Data Engineering, or a related field.
- 5+ years’ professional experience in applying statistical and machine learning techniques such as hypothesis testing, time series analysis, classification, regression, and clustering to business problems.
- 5+ years’ professional experience in performing data extraction, manipulation, and visualization using programming languages (e.g., Python), scientific computing languages (e.g., R, MATLAB), or SQL.
- Extensive experience with machine learning and deep learning packages (scikit-learn, lightGBM, Tensorflow or PyTorch).
- Experience with at least one programming language (e.g., Python, Java, C++).
- Experience in presenting findings from statistical and machine learning methods to diverse audiences through effective communication.
- Experience in executing on the full life cycle of projects through project planning, data collection, model prototyping and deployment, with responsibilities encompassing stakeholder management and communication to cross-functional partners.
- Proficiency in data structures and algorithms.
- Excellent in dismantling business problem/question, complex or simple, into required information/analysis and action that can address the problem/question.
- Thrives in fast-paced start-up environment, including balancing multiple projects and dealing with ambiguity.
- Recommendation Systems / Recommender Systems
- Experience in food and retail environment, ideally worked for a retailer / retail tech or food (tech) company.
Perks and Benefits
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.At Walmart, we offer competitive pay as well as performance-based incentive awards and other great benefits for a happier mind, body, and wallet. Health benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage. Financial benefits include 401(k), stock purchase and company-paid life insurance. Paid time off benefits include PTO (including sick leave), parental leave, family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting. Other benefits include short-term and long-term disability, company discounts, Military Leave Pay, adoption and surrogacy expense reimbursement, and more.You will also receive PTO and/or PPTO that can be used for vacation, sick leave, holidays, or other purposes. The amount you receive depends on your job classification and length of employment. It will meet or exceed the requirements of paid sick leave laws, where applicable. For information about PTO, see https://one.walmart.com/notices .Live Better U is a Walmart-paid education benefit program for full-time and part-time associates in Walmart and Sam's Club facilities. Programs range from high school completion to bachelor's degrees, including English Language Learning and short-form certificates. Tuition, books, and fees are completely paid for by Walmart.Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart at https://bit.ly/3iOOb1J .The annual salary range for this position is $160,000.00-$230,000.00Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives.Additional compensation for certain positions may also include:- Regional Pay Zone (RPZ) (based on location)- Stock equity incentives
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 6 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...840 W CALIFORNIA AVE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-4828, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth