Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Senior Manager II, Data Science (Store No. 8)
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1643343
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
About Store No8
We are the incubation arm of Walmart. Store No8 was formed in 2017 as part of Walmart’s larger innovation mission to shape the future of commerce. We pursue big ideas and take risks by stepping outside of Walmart’s core business to focus on leapfrog capabilities across conversational commerce, mixed reality, in-store digitization, and more. Our ultimate goal: fuel Walmart’s core business, create new operational efficiencies, and unlock amazing experiences for our customers in the long-term.
About the Role:
As a Senior Manager II, Data Science for one of our Store Nº8’s portfolio companies, your focus will be leading a team of Data Scientists to finding trends in data sets and developing next-generation algorithms to leverage data for projects within our incubator. Reporting directly to the Director of Engineering, you will partner with the data engineering, product, software engineering and business teams. You will need to be a self-starter with a strong bias for action and excellent communication skills.
This is a rare opportunity, moving at the speed of a startup, with the backing and in house data (lots of data) of the Fortune 1 company. You will bridge the art of what’s possible across today’s rapidly evolving consumer & food landscape.
What You’ll Do:
- Recruit, lead, and mentor a dynamic team of data scientists, fostering a culture of learning and innovation.
- Utilize your understanding of both business requirements and machine learning architecture to shape our product roadmap, ensuring alignment with organizational goals.
- Dive deep with team members, providing coaching and hands-on technical guidance in critical high-impact areas.
- Collaborate closely with product, , app development, and data engineering teams to prioritize and bring your team’s work to life. Identify new opportunities, develop prototypes, and communicate staffing needs.
- Communicate your team’s work effectively to senior leaders and the executive team on a regular basis.
- Leverage cloud-based architectures and technologies to deliver optimized AI/ML models at scale.
- Stay up to date with the latest state-of-the-art techniques in machine learning applications and models, fostering a culture of continuous learning within the organization.
What You’ll Need:
- Master’s or PhD degree in STEM or relevant field; Professional experience in DS, ML, DL, or RL.
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing data science teams.
- Extensive experience with machine learning and deep learning packages (scikit-learn, lightGBM, Tensorflow or PyTorch).
- Experience writing complex SQL queries to surface insights from vast amounts of data.
- Significant programing experience in Python, Spark etc.; Comfortable implementing algorithms from academic papers and building data pipelines.
- Practical experience with cloud services (Google Cloud Platform etc.).
- Familiarity with experimentation design or causal inferences.
Perks and Benefits
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, options for hybrid and flexible schedules, and much more.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 5 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 3 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 7 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Supervisory experience, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...840 W CALIFORNIA AVE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-4828, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth