Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Lead Counsel - New Business Development
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Legal
- Job Function Legal
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1643169
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Imagine a position that allows you to apply your trusted legal expertise while working alongside the world’s largest retailer. Imagine an opportunity where your knowledge takes you beyond the courtroom and positions you as a trusted business advisor. At Walmart, our Lead Counsels drive strategy while empowering the organization to make informed decisions that align to enterprise objectives. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy solving problems and working collaboratively toward a solution, you’ll find that being a part of our Legal division is a move that brings with it tremendous growth potential and exciting new challenges. The most exciting part? You’ll likely find yourself in a place you never envisioned your law degree would take you.
While it is important that Walmart continues to drive the day-to-day business and focuses on serving our customers today, it is also critical we are looking ahead to the customer and business needs of tomorrow. The New Business Development team is a newly created group designed to do just that by leading new initiatives to save businesses, nonprofits and the public sector time, money, and hassle so they can focus on their missions. The position will be integral to the further development of Walmart Business, an eCommerce site and customer experience designed to empower small and medium businesses and nonprofit customers.
Join the Walmart Legal Team and become a trusted strategic partner supporting a growing area of Walmart’s business. It’s a unique chance to be an intrapreneur—building something new from the ground up, while backed by the strength of Walmart and leveraging the assets of the world’s largest omnichannel retailer.
Your expertise, vision and strategy will allow you to provide critical guidance to your clients as they develop and drive business solutions focused on removing complexity in purchasing, lower costs and give our customers more opportunities to serve their customers and communities. You will provide legal guidance for operations and transactions and collaborate with cross-functional teams to mitigate legal and compliance risk.
What you’ll do:
- Provide legal advice to the company by providing clients with an informed understanding of the client's legal rights, obligations, and risks to allow the client to make informed decisions.
- Identify the need for and overseeing outside legal support for business transactions and projects.
- Leverage technology to streamline processes, communication, and workflows.
- Provide strategic legal and business advice to the company to facilitate long-term relationships with key partners.
- Lead legal review and negotiation of commercial matters.
- Collaborate with other Legal groups and subject matter experts to analyze and assess legal risks and provide seamless cross-functional support to your clients.
- Develop business best practices and procedures that will mitigate corporate risk.
What you’ll bring:
- Comprehensive legal experience with retail, eCommerce, and online platforms.
- Substantial diverse legal experience (ex. combination of in-house, public sector, leading law firm, etc.) in commercial transactions, data privacy, public sector, or marketing.
- Empower your business partners while working collaboratively to achieve cross-functional goals.
- Work proactively and leverage preventative measures in the spirit of protecting stakeholders, customers, and employees.
- Strong new business development and proven operational experience, bringing businesses to life, and growing them from launch into the next phases.
- A solution-oriented strategic mindset with sound judgement providing practical guidance and managing multiple complex matters.
- Demonstrated the ability to move projects forward proactively by gaining support needed from stakeholders across the company and working in a cross-functional role.
- Proven track record of risk identification, assessment, and mitigation.
- Strong communication skills to interact with senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Experience advising Product, UX / Design and Tech on new features and functionality.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Law degree from an accredited law school and 6 years’ experience in law.
License to practice law in at least one state.
2 years’ experience leading cross-functional teams.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Primary Location...702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth