Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Senior Director, User Experience Data & Advertising Experiences
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1625491
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Senior Design Director, Data & Advertising Experiences
About the Team
Our team is designing the future of retail to improve the lives of millions of Americans. We create richly compelling experiences for customers – whether they are at home, in our stores, or on the go. We power these experiences with the enterprise software our merchants, suppliers, and sellers use to offer our customers the best items and services at great value. We also design the consumer-grade tools our 1.2 million employees in our stores and supply chain use every day. Our mission is to bring dignity and access through design excellence to everyone.
The Senior Design Director for the Data & Advertising Experiences plays a critical strategic role. This senior leader will create the comprehensive design strategy for how our business and finance teams cull insights and understand trends to derive and articulate internal strategic omnichannel forecasts. This leader will also grow and evolve our advertising platform that helps brands and businesses connect with our customers in store and online increasing their presence and sales at Walmart. In addition to being a thought partner to our business, engineering, and product partners, this leader will set the standards for easy use and modeling in our forecasting, planning, and advertising tools, and link different software packages together to establish a unified data approach. This leader will also strategically partner with other teams to create awareness and seamless connections to our advertising platform across Walmart’s many offerings for brands and businesses. This role includes leadership of several strategic data-centric and advertising products and tools, design direction to create a seamless experience across the portfolio, and growth of teams of designers in this area. This leader is a member of the Senior Leadership Team for the Design organization at Walmart, and will influence the entire Design portfolio in addition to running their business.
As the Senior Design Director, you will employ your depth of knowledge and experience designing data-rich enterprise software and services to make the complex simple, clear, and trusted. You’ll demonstrate your natural curiosity to listen, understand, and draw out insights from research and analytics to improve how your portfolio of data and advertising products grow and evolve. While diving into the interaction patterns and business processes of today, you’ll be able to imagine and articulate improved future states of those products through design. You’ll bring your great strengths in storytelling to present your vision and product design rationale in a compelling, convincing manner to the wider team. While working with partners to determine a shared plan forward that balances business and technology considerations, you will create and champion an experience that is highly engaging and usable and deliver pixel-perfect detailed design with your team.
By innovating on the world’s biggest stage, you will have the chance to shape the future of retail and beyond. If you are motivated by complex, purposeful challenges, being Senior Design Director, Data & Advertising Experiences at Walmart could be the fit you’ve been looking for.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you have...
- Ability to define and advocate for a design vision and follow through with a plan on how to deliver against it
- Track record of shipping high impact products in a fast-moving and changing environment – one that celebrates experimentation, iteration, and shipping
- Built and led multi-disciplinary teams of designer, writers, and researchers while creating a strong design culture
- Experience leading product design process and building strong cross-functional partnerships
- Excellent visual and interaction design skills and a keen understanding of trends in the marketplace for data tools and visualization
- A strong strategic mindset and a systems thinking approach
- A skilled change maker who is not afraid to think big and challenge the status quo
- A deep understanding of data and enterprise software
- A high bar for quality, and can set new standards for design delivery
- Ability to communicate concepts in a clear and compelling way to audiences of all levels of understanding and levels of seniority
- Ability to produce great work in short timeframes, multitask across different projects and platforms and adapt to the ever-changing priorities of the business
- Deep experience with business requirement gathering, end-to-journey mapping, facilitating sessions like Design Sprints, conducting competitive analysis, and leading rapid concepting and prototyping
- Champion of a design philosophy that is inclusive of all people
You’ll make an impact by:
- Driving the design strategy and delivering on the future vision of our data-rich strategic products and services, with a strong focus on advertising tools
- Partnering with the business, engineering, and product partners to create a compelling vision that will inform the roadmap our forecasting and advertising software and services
- Owning and delivering all phases of product design work across the portfolio (these include defining the north star, distilling research, design ideation, prototyping, final spec design, implementation)
- Leading your team in a way that nurtures the unique strengths of each member and brings them together in a way that has multiplying effect
- Facilitating creative problem-solving across cross-functional partners to drive best-in-class thinking from all parts of the organization and seamlessly integrating competitive organizational goals
- Driving and holding others accountable to create experiences that celebrate and empower our end users
- Proactively soliciting, leveraging, and sharing design research, competitive research, data, and analytics to create full-featured and strategic products.
- Fostering a maker mindset so teams can iterate and experiment collaboratively to challenge the status quo, drive new thinking, and improve processes for creating future-forward product experiences
- Thinking holistically so that we build true end-to-end experiences
- Switching gears from deep design thinking to rapid-fire execution
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Design related field and 15+ years of experience in product design, with at least 8 years managing teams of managers and individual contributors.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in UI/UX design, graphic design, visual communication, product design, computer science, information technology, or related area and 7 years’ experience in UI/UX, interactive and visual design, electronics art, multimedia design, or related area. Option 2: 9 years’ experience in UI/UX, interactive and visual design, electronics art, multimedia design, or related area.
4 years’ supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Design certification (for example, IDEOU - Foundations in Design Thinking Certificate), Driving product development in a user experience area, Master's degree in UI/UX Design, Interactive and Visual Design, Product Design, or related area, Related industry experience (for example, retail, supply chain, eCommerce, healthcare), UI/UX, Interactive and Visual Design, Electronics Art, Multimedia Design, or related area
Primary Location...850 Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, CA 94066-3031, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth