Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Principal Software Engineer
- Location DALLAS, TX
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1601928
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Walmart is investing in transforming the Global Sourcing business by enhancing the user experience with the latest technology and we are looking for talented individuals who can use their engineering and leadership skills to help our teams solve complex problems. You will be part of the application development team leading software design and implementation, problem solving, leading consistency across our team in quality standards, ensuring our teams adhere to micro-service architecture principles, research and propose ingenuitive ideas that allows our teams to solve problems faster and provide engineering efficiency as they work with our customers to deliver world-class software solutions.
Our team collaborates with Walmart International, which has over 5,900 retail units operating outside of the United States under 55 banners in 26 countries including Africa, Argentina, Canada, Central America, Chile, China, India, Japan, and Mexico, to name a few.
What you'll do:
As a Principal Software Engineer, you’ll spend your days translating requirements into solutions, writing code, reusable components and services, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and providing us with the insights necessary to think beyond the status quo. You’ll oversee multiple project teams consisting of other engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor, a subject matter expert who provides guidance and the right tools to get the job done.
- Expert in designing and architecting small to the large solution using appropriate design patterns
- Strong design and coding experience in Core Java, Object Oriented programming, SpringBoot, SQL(RDBMS), NoSQL (Cassandra), Kafka, Spring, Elastic Search
- Strong understanding of Agile methodology and leveraging SDLC tools to improve development and testing efficiency (JIRA, Jenkins, GIT, JUnit, Selenium, Lint)
- Experience in building secure, highly available, resilient, scalable distributed systems leveraging clustering and load balancing of web servers, app servers, and messaging systems
- Deep knowledge of microservices & event-driven architecture patterns
- Strong Knowledge of container-based development, orchestration, microservices frameworks and tools (Docker, Kubernetes, Spring Boot, Jersey, Swagger)
- Experience in Cloud and Container-based development (Kubernetes) is a plus.
- identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions, implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Provides support to the business for new and existing systems by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of own domain.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams when needed; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; and completing online documentation.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models’ compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open-Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
- Utilize industry research to improve Walmart's technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; benchmarking industry against internal processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines, standards, and processes.
What you'll bring:
- Define and maintain architecture roadmap, technical solutions for new and existing functionality for the products
- Take ownership over architecture qualities of the end-to-end distributed applications
- Deliver architectural services, including guidance and conceptual design as well as technical and process innovations
- Investigate the latest technology and build quick Proof of Concept functionalities to address future business needs
- Preparing, improving, and introducing new approaches/methodologies/tools and techniques within the pillar
- Work to meet delivery commitments of feature content throughout the whole Delivery Lifecycle/Sprints
- Excellent ability to communicate complex technical ideas with clarity and precision in both written and verbal modes across multiple functional teams.
- Create and capture best practices, technical content, and new reference architectures (e.g., white papers, code samples, blog posts).
- Provide guidance and drive engineering excellence covering site reliability, alerts & monitoring, product health and portability.
- Ability to work in a results-oriented, rapidly changing, dynamic and fast-paced environment that requires collaboration across multiple stakeholders
- You display great communication/collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
- You’re passionate about teaching and mentoring others to be greater than they thought possible
- Strong understanding of agile methodologies (Scrum and Kanban)
- Strong understanding of continuous integration and delivery (Jenkins, GitOps, etc)
- Strong understanding of testing frameworks (JUnit, Cucumber, or similar) and concepts (CHO, Integration, Unit, etc )
- Strong understanding of large-scale data platforms
- Perform code reviews, design reviews, guide the test team with the user scenarios
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
At Walmart, we offer competitive pay as well as performance-based incentive awards and other great benefits for a happier mind, body, and wallet. Health benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage. Financial benefits include 401(k), stock purchase and company-paid life insurance. Paid time off benefits include PTO (including sick leave), parental leave, family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting. Other benefits include short-term and long-term disability, company discounts, Military Leave Pay, adoption and surrogacy expense reimbursement, and more.You will also receive PTO and/or PPTO that can be used for vacation, sick leave, holidays, or other purposes. The amount you receive depends on your job classification and length of employment. It will meet or exceed the requirements of paid sick leave laws, where applicable. For information about PTO, see https://one.walmart.com/notices .Live Better U is a Walmart-paid education benefit program for full-time and part-time associates in Walmart and Sam's Club facilities. Programs range from high school completion to bachelor's degrees, including English Language Learning and short-form certificates. Tuition, books, and fees are completely paid for by Walmart.Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart at https://bit.ly/3iOOb1J .The annual salary range for this position is $126,000.00-$216,000.00Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives.Additional compensation for certain positions may also include:- Regional Pay Zone (RPZ) (based on location)- Stock equity incentives
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and5 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
Option 2: 7 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Primary Location...603 MUNGER AVE STE 400, DALLAS, TX 75202, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth