Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Manager II, Data Stewardship
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1387979
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make and drives us to create the future of retail. We can’t do that without the best talent – the talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
If you love enabling data solutions that can scale, have a strong customer mindset, love taking ownership to solve business challenges, enjoy continually learning and working in a cross functional collaborative environment, we would love to have you on our team.
The Data Steward will function as part of the Walmart US Merchandising team. As a domain expert and a solution consultant in Merchandising, you will understand the business concepts, identify data assets, develop business glossaries, and help Merchants to unlock insights from data.
As a member of the Walmart Data Governance Community, you are responsible for managing and cataloging Walmart data assets such as KPIs, Reports Applications, Business glossaries and partnering with business and technical stakeholders to onboard business and technical metadata to our Data Governance Center (DGC - Collibra) using established tools and processes and ensuring the overall fitness of our data.
- Lead, research and develop a specific data landscape for Merchandising use
- Quickly develop the business knowledge required to support Merchandising function and governance activities
- Partner with business and product to define metrics and KPI’s that drive business results
- Work with the business, product, engineers, and the data stewards from other areas to ensure data best practices are designed and implemented proactively
- Collaborate to create resilient and sustainable data analysis process and data quality rules.
- Follow guidelines and protocols that govern the proliferation of data to ensure that data controls are enforced
- Collaborate to ensure the highest quality of data is maintained through the data lifecycle
- Develop a deep understanding and alignment to the Data Governance program and policy requirements
- Hands on development of data assets in the enterprise data catalog
- Be part of a team that works with data stewards across the organization to ensure data best practices are being leveraged and enforced.
Data Source Identification: Supports the understanding of the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Helps identify the most suitable source for data that is fit for purpose. Performs initial data quality checks on extracted data.
Problem Formulation: Identifies possible options to address the business problems within one's discipline through analytics, big data analytics, and automation. Demonstrates understanding of usecases and desired outcomes
Data Strategy: Understands, articulates, interprets, and applies the principles of the defined strategy to unique, moderately complex business problems that may span one or main functions or domains.
Data Governance: Establishes, modifies, and documents data governance strategies and initiatives. Provides guidance to business stakeholders, peers, and junior associates on the implementation of data governance practices. Helps business leaders understand and interpret company and regulatory policies around data. Determines data governance processes, practices, policies, and guidelines. Drives the successful adoption of organizational data utilization. Educates others on roles and accountability for data management. Actively participates in external communities to grow and develop deeper understanding of policy and regulatory changes that may happen from a data perspective.
Applied Business Acumen: Provides recommendations to business stakeholders to solve complex business issues. Develops business cases for projects with a projected return on investment or cost savings. Translates business requirements into projects, activities, and tasks and aligns to overall business strategy. Serves as an interpreter and conduit to connect business needs with tangible solutions and results. Recommends new processes and ways of working.
Master Data and Metadata Management: Understands business domain master integration and meta data requirements. Implements master data management solutions and manage metadata environment. Manages and maintains metadata standards and data rules. Manages and maintains "golden" records. Leads changes and revisions to master data, metadata, and data hierarchies and affiliations within given guidelines. Implements integration of new data sources and metadata. Replicates and distributes master data. Distributes and delivers metadata. Queries, reports, and analyzes metadata. Educates others on master data and metadata management processes, practices, policies, and guidelines.
Data Quality Management: Promotes and educates others on data quality awareness. Profiles, analyzes, and assesses data quality. Tests and validates data quality requirements. Continuously measures and monitors data quality. Delivers against data quality service level agreements. Manages operational Data Quality Management procedures. Manages data quality issues and leads data cleansing activities to remove data quality defects, improve data quality, and eliminate unused data. Determines user accessibility and removes or restricts user access as needed. Interprets company and regulatory policies on data. Educates others on data governance processes, practices, policies, and guidelines.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- You are passionate about data, merchandising and retail.
- You are a team player with the courage to drive change through disruption while maintaining respect for the team.
- You are inquisitive, focused, organized, and an abstract thinker.
- Data Quality is an essence of your work culture.
- You are familiar with data governance concepts and have been involved in data governance roll-outs in the past
- Exhibit excellent ability to understand business concepts very quickly.
- You have experience working in Walmart Merchandising Teams or serving in Walmart’s vendor community.
- You have a demonstrated track record and hands-on experience in data management/data stewardship areas, including use of Collibra or other data profiling and curation tools
- You understand data concepts, including data design and modelling, as well as SQL, BI tools (Excel, Tableau, Looker, or Power BI) and Big data.
- Working knowledge of Python, R, or VBA is a plus.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Analytics, Statistics, Computer Science or related field and minimum 4 years experience in data analytics, project management, business, or related area
- Experience with data analysis, data documentation, data quality monitoring and improvement.
- Strong understanding of organization’s needs and ability to drive change
- Strong leadership and communication skills as well as the ability to influence key decision-makers and understand their points of view
- Must be able to work effectively both on teams as well as be self-motivated, task oriented, and organized.
- Strong customer focus and obsession with quality
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in Business, Mathematics, Finance, Computer Science, Data Architecture, or related field and 3 years' experience in data stewardship, data management, database administration, data analytics, or related field. Option 2: 5 years’ experience in data stewardship, data management, database administration, data analytics, or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Business, Mathematics, Finance, Computer Science, Data Architecture, or related field and 1 year’s experience in in data stewardship, data management, database administration, data analytics, or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data Management certification (for example, Certified Data Management Professional), Driving taxonomy development and application particularly with large and complex sets of information, Industry experience (for example, retail, supply chain, eCommerce, healthcare), Master's degree in Mathematics, Finance, Computer Science, Data Architecture
Primary Location...702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
"At Walmart, we get the opportunity to grow professionally and personally—all while improving how we work and what we deliver to consumers."
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth