Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Senior Director I, Business Strategy - Membership Growth
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1313655
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Sam’s Club is Member obsessed and growing fast – now at nearly 3 years of double-digit revenue growth. Increasing our Membership base sits at the core of this growth, and we’re searching for a Senior Director of Membership Growth to drive the strategies that will continue to increase membership at a blistering pace for years to come. Everything starts with Membership at Sam’s Club, and we’re looking for a talented leader to sit at the heart of driving Membership Growth at one of the fastest growing, most loved and most trusted memberships in retail.
Working at Sam's Club means leveraging the advantages of Walmart's scale while moving with speed! Yes, we are a division of the Fortune #1 company, Walmart, Inc., and you'll quickly find that we're a company that wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Sam's Club is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our clubs. Join us and you'll discover why our company is a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
What you’ll do:
Reporting to the VP of Membership, this highly-visible and influential role will be accountable for:
- Acquisition Performance: be the business owner that is constantly driving us toward greater efficiency and effectiveness of Membership Acquisition efforts: testing, learning, and innovating our way toward more efficient acquisition marketing spend through innovation in incrementality testing, upper-funnel marketing and messaging, identifying the right prospects, balancing acquisition counts against member lifetime value (MLTV), member renewal rates against Customer Acquisition Costs (CAC), etc.
- Financial Performance: Oversee budgets for Sam's Club member promotion programs and lead in ensuring financial goals are met; effectively communicate results and actions to executive leadership.
- Marketing Approach: Ensure the Membership and acquisition strategy encompasses a united marketing approach that builds sustainable growth in membership counts, income, and membership/brand perceptions.
- Membership Partnerships for Acquisition: lead in our efforts to grow membership through smart partnerships with other companies that align with our brand, our growth ambitions, and ultimately lead to even more happy members that renew with Sam’s Club year after year.
- Membership Innovation: Develops and champions transformational and innovative change for multiple integrated strategies across the business by creating a compelling vision and strategy, with the ultimate intent of making Sam’s Club the most loved membership in America. Integrating initiatives, partnering with multiple business sponsors, eliminating barriers, and obtaining buy in from executive leadership.
- Membership Strategic Roadmap: Working closely with our Product, Tech and UX teams, develop, create and maintain a strategic Membership roadmap to grow Sam’s Club, including features/benefits and capabilities that will drive growth for years to come based on member research.
Who you are…
- You thrive in an environment where you have the freedom, scope and responsibility to find innovative ways to impact the business
- You want to lead within and be part of a passionate, smart, hard-working, Member-obsessed culture
- You are a polished communicator with ability to communicate with data and information in a clear and concise fashion. You are passionate about not just sharing data but telling a story through meaningful insights
- Your are a leader who loves to build collaborative, talented, high-performing teams and strives to balance high empathy with high accountability.
- You thrive when working fast, playing well with others, and conquering diverse challenges every day by building strong working relationships across teams
- You have experience understanding and optimizing the interplay between brand marketing, digital/performance marketing, eCommerce conversion and experience
- You know how to manage a P&L and utilize performance to drive your strategic roadmap
- You have a passion for understanding and solving customer/Member problems and developing solutions that customers/members love
- You are someone who enjoys working collaboratively but can ultimately execute projects independently and confidently
- Retail experience, particularly in Marketing, Strategy, eCommerce, or Consumer Experience
- Strategy consulting experience a plus
- Membership / subscription / loyalty program experience a plus
- Must thrive in managing and effectively influencing/partnering across large matrixed teams with demonstrated experience in project management
- Excellent organization skills, and ability to lead multiple projects/ responsibilities
- Demonstrated record of creative and structured approach to problem solving
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organization skills
- Passionate and driven collaborator and teammate
- Must have a sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or equivalent preferred
- 5+ years in Marketing, Strategy, retail merchandising, loyalty/membership/subscription, or related fields
- 5-10+ years supervisory experience
- 5+ years of leading cross-functional teams and proven success partnering cross-functionally
Our Best Leaders:
Build & Develop Talent
- Build a management team that has the right balance of skills, experiences, and values. Drive associate engagement and commitment. Create a discipline and focus around developing talent. Build organizations that set aggressive goals and achieve results. Build the talent pipeline in a way that contributes to the company’s business and talent objectives.
Focus on Diversity & Inclusion
- Promote diversity of ideas and perspectives. Improve value of diverse teams by encouraging objectivity, open communication, and respect. Support strategies and initiatives that attract/retain diverse and inclusive talent. Actively support diversity goal programs.
Strategic & Total Company Perspective
- Think globally – recognizes the impact of global forces on the business (e.g., economic, political, technological, etc.) Communicate a clear vision and strategy for the business. Understand the next generation customer and competition. Pursue opportunities for global leverage. Understand and apply customer insights and analysis in driving change. Act with agility and speed to put new insights into practice while minimizing disruption and rework. Apply merchant mindset with a specific focus on digital trends/technologies to meet emerging consumer needs in the marketplace.
Live our values
- Model company culture in everyday behavior. Create an environment of trust and collaboration. Earn the trust and respect of others. Practice servant leadership by putting the interests of others before self. Communicate the company culture through storytelling and teaching. Promote the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and compliance. Encourage experimentation to drive innovation as the marketplace changes.
Innovate & grow
- Create an environment that supports innovation and reasonable risk taking. Actively and rapidly embrace change by experimenting with and prototyping new tools and methods. Leverage data and analytics to generate insights and make informed decisions. Drive the removal of redundancy from processes while minimizing the ability to revisit finalized decisions.
Accelerate digital transformation
- Demonstrates understanding of how digital trends affect our business. Stays up-to-date on digital trends while proactively identifying new ways to solve business problems using technology and other digital tools. Leads by example by using new digital tools in the day-to-day management of the business. Provides access to leading technology innovations to their organization.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Statistics, Social Science, Communications, or related field and 6 years’ experience in retail merchandising, operations management, or related area OR 8 years’ experience in retail merchandising, operations management, or related area.
2 years’ supervisory experience
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Leading a cross-functional teamMasters: Computer Engineering, Masters: Computer Science, Masters: Mathematics, Masters: Supply Chain, Masters: Transportation
Primary Location...2101 SE SIMPLE SAVINGS DR, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712-4304, United States of America
About Sam's Club
Sam's Club employs about 110,000 associates in the U.S. The average club is 134,000 square feet and offers bulk groceries and general merchandise. Most clubs also have specialty services, such as a pharmacy, an optical department, a photo center, or a tire and battery center.
Sam’s Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
"The people you work with are ready to help without hesitation to make sure you succeed, it’s just part of the culture."
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Free Membership and discounts in fresh produce
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Paid education assistance with college degrees through our Live Better U program
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid time off - to include vacation, sick leave and parental leave
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth