Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Lead Counsel I, Global Sourcing
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Legal
- Job Function Legal
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1309697
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
What you’ll do…
As a leading global retailer, Walmart’s commitment is to help customers save money and live better starts with great products, made by great people. Through Walmart Sourcing, we work closely around the world with carefully selected partners who meet our high standards for quality, act with integrity, and respect their people. Our mission is to become the most trusted and resilient supplier, powered by Walmart – all with the goal of finding the right product at the right price for our customers.
Walmart Sourcing supports our merchandising organization across the enterprise for all Walmart’s formats and banners around the world. Walmart Sourcing is instrumental in developing suppliers, planning long-term relationships and forecasting upstream commodities in advance.
The Lead Counsel, Walmart Sourcing leads the legal support for the Walmart Sourcing Organization. The Lead Counsel partners with and provides strategic legal advice and practical solutions to the Walmart Sourcing Organization on a wide range of sourcing and commercial legal matters. The Lead Counsel manages the legal affairs of the Walmart Sourcing organization to ensure the organization’s global business operations conform to all applicable local, U.S. and International laws and regulations.
The Lead Counsel is part of the Walmart Sourcing global leadership team led by the EVP of Walmart Sourcing. The Lead Counsel reports dotted to the EVP of Walmart Sourcing; and solid to the SVP and General Counsel of Walmart International. The Lead Counsel will have 2 direct reports and work with numerous internal and external legal partners across the globe.
Location: The position will be located in Bentonville, AR. Currently, we are not considering this a remote or hybrid role.
You’ll make an impact by...
- Provide timely and effective legal counsel to support the operations of Walmart Sourcing across a wide range of novel legal and business matters while navigating local and international laws to protect and mitigate risk across a spectrum of developed and developing jurisdictions.
- Provide strategic legal advice and practical solutions for new business models; commercial sourcing services; diversity of sourcing (Country of Origin); organizational structures and related Corporate Governance.
- Structure, draft, negotiate and drive to completion domestic and international transactions ranging from intercompany to transactions covering vendor agreements, offices leases, supply agreements, master service agreements, and statements of work.
- Provide strategic and tactical advice regarding contract interpretation and claims; and manage pre-litigation claims, disputes, and settlements.
- Proactively identify, evaluate, and address sourcing-related legal, ethics and compliance risks, and work with the business to develop risk mitigation or corrective action plans, as appropriate.
- Partner and collaborate on various strategic initiatives with cross-border and cross-functional colleagues and teams to identify risks and help implement effective mitigation strategies including for price changes, supply chain disruption, geopolitical and regulatory changes.
- Manage outside counsel and other service providers to ensure high-value, efficient and cost-effective representation.
- Develop and direct legal strategies to promote and protect Walmart and its sourcing business operations and to ensure alignment with enterprise and segment objectives.
- Create a discipline and focus around developing the talent pipeline to contribute to the company’s business and talent objectives.
- 10+ years of commercial and international business law experience in legal and leadership roles at a large law firm or corporate legal department, including complex multijurisdictional transactions, preferably in the sourcing/supply chain context.
- Management experience in working with stakeholders in multiple countries including prioritizing conflicting demands from multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment; working with legal and business stakeholders in multiple countries; and handling matters involving sensitive geopolitical concerns and foreign government interaction.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- Ability to think globally to recognize the impact of global forces on the business (e.g., economic, geopolitical, technological, etc.)
- Ability to work practically and quickly to evaluate risk, solve problems, and make decisions that have both legal and business impact.
- Creative and practical in crafting solutions that enable and protect business interests while mitigating legal risks.
- Ability to communicate succinctly and simply to translate complex legal issues into readily understandable assessments and actionable recommendations.
- Good business judgment and sound decision making in ambiguous situations with ability to balance risk, opportunity, and business objective.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to direct and implement multiple concurrent projects and manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong leadership, communication, and diplomacy skills; executive presence with the capability to build strong relationships and influence stakeholders in a global matrixed structure.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Law degree from an accredited law school and 6 years’ experience in law.
License to practice law in at least one state.
2 years’ experience leading cross-functional teams.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Primary Location...702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth