Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Distinguished Data Scientist, Economics
- Location NEW YORK, NY
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1244805
What you'll do at
What you'll do...Distinguished Data Scientist, Economics
Location: New York, NY, San Bruno/Sunnyvale CA. Will consider remote work for the right candidate.
Walmart sells hundreds of billions of dollars a year in merchandise, manages thousands of stores and distribution centers, employs more than one million people, and operates a fast-growing marketplace and ads business. Walmart’s scale and the complexity of its problems necessitate careful, sophisticated analysis. The Walmart Economics team is responsible for applying the latest insights and methods from academia to drive Walmart’s decision making and continued transformation.
The Walmart Economics team is new to the organization and growing quickly. Economists on the team work with the Chief Economist on projects across the company, including:
• Optimizing pricing
• Growing membership and subscriptions
• Increasing our sustainability
• Developing a thriving marketplace
You will partner with business and tech teams to use tools from Economics to understand the causal impact of decisions, identify and optimize tradeoffs, and drive strategy using first principles. As an early member on the team, you will help to define how Walmart leverages economics to drive outcomes and lay the groundwork for the future of the team.
• Designing and analyzing experiments – Guide decision making by ensuring we understand the impact of potential changes through careful experimentation
• Performing causal inference – Leverage the latest in econometrics and statistics to understand the effect of changes we cannot run experimentally
• Framing and evaluating trade-offs – Define and weigh business trade-offs to drive strategic decisions under uncertainty
• Applying behavioral economics – Use an understanding of behavioral economics to inform user experience design
• PhD in a quantitative field (e.g., Economics, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science) and 5+ years working in a role using data, statistics, or economics or 10+ years of relevant experience
• Experience with analyzing large datasets (ideally coding in SQL, R, or Python) is a plus
• Passion for economics or experience assisting with academic research
• You’re curious and a self-starter, naturally interested in learning more
• You’re collaborative and uplift your team when you partner with others
• You enjoy hard problems
• You have knowledge of experimentation and causal inference methods
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more. Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
At Walmart, we offer competitive pay as well as performance-based incentive awards and other great benefits for a happier mind, body, and wallet. Health benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage. Financial benefits include 401(k), stock purchase and company-paid life insurance. Paid time off benefits include PTO (including sick leave), parental leave, family care leave, bereavement, jury duty and voting. Other benefits include short-term and long-term disability, education assistance with 100% company paid college degrees, company discounts, military service pay, adoption expense reimbursement, and more.
Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com.
The annual salary range for this position is $208,000.00 to $300,000.00.
Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives.
Additional compensation for certain positions may also include:
- Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives.
- Regional Pay Zone (RPZ) (based on location)
- Stock equity incentives
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 6 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 8 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Publications or active peer reviewer in related journals or conference, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...250 Hudson St, NEW YORK, NY 10013-1006, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth