Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Director, Federal Government Affairs - Food & Agriculture Policy
- Location WASHINGTON, DC
- Career Area Corporate Affairs and Communications
- Job Function Corporate Affairs and Communications
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1053789
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
The Director, Federal Government Affairs – Food and Agriculture Policy, based in Washington, DC, influences legislation and regulations impacting Walmart's food business - including operations, associates and customers – as impacted by federal policy. The Director will lead coalitions and relevant interest groups to achieve positive policy or regulatory outcomes; provide input on amendments and alternatives to legislative proposals; draft testimony for Congressional hearings to be presented by appropriate company executives; draft and submit timely responses to Federal Register notices; present to various external groups on key issues; initiate meetings and interact with senior executive branch officials, members of Congress, Congressional staff, political party leadership and foreign ambassadors; manage Federal Government Relations outreach initiatives and relationships among trade associations, think-tanks, non-governmental organizations, and coalitions; and deliver testimony to executive branch inter-agency committees.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Ensuring alignment of Walmart's overall corporate goals and business objectives with government policy by providing input on strategic priorities for Public and Government Affairs and serving as a subject matter expert on legislative or political issues and their impact on Walmart goals and objectives.
- Working with internal stakeholders to determine company's position on top-priority regulatory, legislative and inter-agency proposals and align on strategies for issue portfolios based on emerging and existing legislative and regulatory developments.
- Representing company's regulatory, compliance and policy positions and initiatives with internal and external groups, including engagement with policymakers to discuss company positions; advancing the company's position at industry and legislative events; preparing relevant statements and testimony; making presentations at relevant conferences and panels; testifying at legislative hearings; and discussing key emerging issues or pending legislation with external stakeholders at many levels.
- Collaborating across broader corporate affairs departmental senior management to develop messaging and implement multi-channel media strategies including using traditional media, paid advertisements and leveraging social media while ensuring compliance with multi-channel media guidelines and governance.
- Preparing Walmart senior and executive management for public testimony on complex issues, including speeches and presentations to government and non-governmental organizations, conferences and task forces.
- Managing performance of Public Affairs suppliers and external consultants to ensure consistency with current business and political needs; leading the evaluation of supplier performance in terms of contract agreements and compliance with company policies.
- Determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment.
- Demonstrating adaptability and pursuing continuous learning.
- Contributing to an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices.
- Developing and engaging internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals, which may include leveraging company-sponsored community outreach and branded initiatives.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you have:
- 7 years’ experience working on Capitol Hill or in public policy with an emphasis on food and agriculture issues.
- A creative vision and a confident voice to advocate and execute the vision.
- A high level of comfort working across a matrix organization with peers and senior leaders.
- An organized and disciplined approach for managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills for distilling legislative and policy issues into easily understood briefing materials.
- Political astuteness and a keen understanding of the evolving landscape in which our business operates.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role and not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this role. Additional duties may be discussed as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, paid time off, multiple health plan options and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. We’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, or related field and 5 years’ experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public
affairs, or related field OR 7 years’ experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public affairs, or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Corporate experience involving coalition building, Corporate experience involving direct lobbying, Corporate experience involving direct media relations, Government Relations experience in Fortune 500 company, SupervisoryJ.D., Masters: Communication, Masters: Political Science
Primary Location...701 8TH STREET, NW, SUITE 200, WASHINGTON, DC 20001-3917, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth