Data Engineer - Technical Design and Innovation
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1228208
What you'll do at
Data Engineer – Technical Design and Innovation
What you'll do
The Fulfillment Engineering team at Jet is looking for an exceptionally talented Data engineer with an outstanding track record reflecting achievements and skills in modernizing and improving the data infrastructure from the ground up. So, if you are passionate about working with very Large Data sets (structured/unstructured), building large scale Data processing platforms, implementing world class data governance and operational controls, solving complex performance challenges and building robust ETL pipelines then we would love to talk to you. Our engineers combine creativity, curiosity, and drive to continuously perfect and revolutionize Jet from the inside out. Our engineers combine creativity, curiosity, and drive to continuously perfect and revolutionize Jet from the inside out.
How you’ll Know it’s right
Judgment - Make Sound Judgments - Uses objective financial and business analyses to evaluate the returns and risks of business choices. Analyzes and integrates trends and patterns to determine the root causes of problems and identify solutions. Evaluates short- and long-term implications of decisions. Accurately forecasts growth, costs, and business challenges. Leverages experience to assess existing technologies, with the vision to see what could be, and can properly calculate risk to make sound judgements upon which technologies to pursue.
Customer/Member Centered - Promote a Customer/Member-Focused Environment - Creates and maintains an environment that provides customers/members with desired products, services, and experiences. Combines experience, insight, and data to determine how to best exceed customer/member needs. Develops and implements initiatives, practices, and plans to capitalize on customer/member-focused growth and improvement opportunities. Ensures the removal of barriers to delivering exceptional customer/member value, service, and support.
Execution and Results - Uses the advantage of company size, internal and external resources, and talent to achieve success. Creates an environment where associates are held accountable for achieving goals and results and breaks barriers to assist them in achieving the results. Applies broad, cross-functional knowledge and resources to produce results that best fit the company strategy. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, resources, and initiatives to ensure accomplishment of critical results. Makes sure desired change initiatives and priorities are implemented appropriately.
Planning and Improvement - Sets and communicates clear and aligned goals, monitors progress, and ensures leaders in own organization do the same. Develops and implements plans and practices ensuring others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to succeed. Develops and upgrades work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies, where appropriate. Sponsors continuous improvement and elimination of non-value-added work. Coaches, teach and mentors others with respect to Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Design for Six Sigma, design for Mean Time To Repair (MTTR), etc. as appropriate.
Influence and Communicate - Develops and communicates logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, that build commitment and support for one's perspectives and initiatives. Builds diverse, high-performing teams that accomplish organizational changes, goals, and priorities. Develops vision and strategy that is clear and easily articulated. Ensures strategies, change initiatives, and competitive information are communicated in clear and compelling ways. Listens to, leverages, and promotes the diverse ideas, perspectives, and contributions of others across the business.
Ethics and Compliance - Builds and sustains an environment where adherence to and reinforcement of the highest standards of integrity and ethics are the norm. Identifies opportunities and acts to enhance compliance. Ensures associates receive the communication and instruction needed to act in accordance with policies and procedures.
Strategy - Creates strategies for own organization that align with the company's strategies and lead to the achievement of business priorities. Pursues initiatives, investments, and opportunities that fit with and support company strategies. Assesses deliverables against leading industry practices and implements plans that leverage company advantages. Works through different strategic options and determines their intended and unintended implications and applies to business planning.
Adaptability: Demonstrate Adaptability - Demonstrates resourcefulness and resilience in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities (for example, seeking out training, learning from experience, researching best practices, new emerging technologies and companies that can be leveraged for future solutions). Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Sponsors programs and initiatives to improve adaptability and continuous learning capabilities in own organization.
Build Relationships: Build Internal and External Relationships - Builds and sustains trusting, collaborative relationships and alliances across functional, organizational, and geographical boundaries to achieve goals. Sponsors initiatives and programs that promote respect for, interest in, and support of associates. Ensures associates are treated in an accepting, respectful manner.
Travels domestically to and from Hoboken, Bentonville, San Bruno and all Walmart and Jet facilities or work-sites to participate in meetings, workshops, project deployments, company events, etc. requiring overnight stays. Some international travel may be required (Percent of travel = 20% or more)
What you will do:
• Play a pivotal design and hands on implementation role in improving the Data infrastructure
• Influence cross functional architecture for data analytics and execution
• Gather and process raw data at scale - collect data across all business domains (our functional-first, event sourced, micro services backend) and expose mechanisms for large scale parallel processing
• Design, implement and manage a near real-time ingestion pipeline into a data warehouse
• Process unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis and then empower state-of-the-art analysis for analysts, scientists, and APIs
• Build efficient new Data Models and refactor existing ones. Partner with business and solution providers to build right data models and analytics capabilities.
• Solve complex SQL and Big Data Performance challenges.
• Mitigate Risks in our data infrastructure by developing the best in class tools and processes.
• Implement controls, policies, processes and best practices in the Data Engineering space.
• Evangelize an extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance.
• Provide reliable and efficient Data services
What you will have:
• BS/MS/PHD Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Math or related technical field.
• Natural inclination for designing well thought out data solutions as well as solid hands-on implementation capability
• 2+ years’ experience in engineering data solutions using technologies including Spark (batch/streaming), Scala/Java (building data pipelines vs frameworks), Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Kafka, Spark, Oozie, Yarn.
• Solid hands-on experience in building data pipelines, deploying and managing Big Data infrastructure, establishing deployment and operational excellence of Big Data clusters.
• Experience in Relational databases, Data Warehousing, SQL, ETL and/or NOSQL databases will be sweet.
• Proven experience in Building or improving large scale data infrastructure from the ground up. This could include building Data warehousing stores, Data Architecture, Data Integration, building highly performant data movement pipelines, building tools and automation to facilitate Data and operational governance, Data Lineage, Automation and Monitoring.
• Data Ops experience including hands on skills in scripting language such as Python, Perl or Bash
• Proven experience in trouble shooting, problem determination and rapid problem resolution
• Experience and ability to work under high pressure in a complex technical environment.
• Experience using technologies including Spark (batch/streaming), Scala/Java (building data pipelines vs frameworks), Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Kafka, Spark, Oozie, Yarn.
• Experience with Robotics, automation, and/or warehouse execution systems
• Experience in startup or consulting environments
• Field/customer service experience in retail supply chain and warehouse/order fulfillment.
• Knowledge of inventory storage mediums in warehouse and material handling systems.
• Working knowledge of at least one at least one scripting language (e.g., Python, Ruby, Perl).
• Knowledge of at least one compiled language (e.g., Java, C++, C#)
Jet is reshaping ecommerce as we know it. Based in Hoboken NJ (just 10 min from Manhattan), we are a shopping site on the relentless pursuit to build the greatest shopping experience in the world. At Jet, we believe in bold. That means taking risks, asking “why not”, looking where no ones looked before and bringing it! Our engineers are utilizing world class technologies, to optimize the supply chain, remove unnecessary costs, sprinkle in some surprise and delight all while saving customers every penny possible and we’re just getting started. At Jet, we have worked hard to build a culture that stresses the importance of learning and sharing knowledge. If you want to be part of the team that is changing the shopping norm and learning a lot along the way, we have a hunch you’d look good in purple.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents