Resident Engineering Manager, Fulfillment Engineering
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1027321
What you'll do at
As a member of a highly collaborative and multi-disciplinary team, this individual will be responsible for working with and managing the activities of the Resident Engineers in the network of Fulfillment Centers. This will include debugging, improving and developing controls for material handling equipment and robotics. This role includes, but is not limited to, the following: managing engineers and technicians that are responsible for maintaining sorters, conveyors, robotic systems and other automated system controls and software specific to eCommerce Fulfillment.
The Resident Engineering Manager will be responsible for leading Resident Engineers in the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures, problem solving methodologies, engineering tools and techniques for all existing and new applications in the network of Fulfillment Centers. The individual will be responsible for leading others in troubleshooting, debugging and improving automated equipment to improve productivity and throughput via automation controls and programming edits through controls logic, software and path alterations by either off-line or on-line methodology. He/she will be able to provide equipment-specific, automated systems training to associates and maintenance personnel, if required. He/she will also ensure proper documentation of changes and maintain lessons learned and revision history.
Challenges You’ll be Tackling
- Lead a team of Resident Engineers and Technicians in the network of Fulfillment Centers
- Oversee the troubleshooting, repair and calibration of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Evaluate and solve problems with controls and/or robotics with Material Handling Equipment and restore the equipment to service, minimizing the downtime of the Fulfillment Center (FC).
- Improve the throughput and reliability of the Material Handling System through appropriate controls and/or robotic programing changes.
- Evaluate supplier training and ensure the proper training of all Resident Engineers and Technicians.
- Apply knowledge of PLCs, HMIs, and Robotics to help define standard operating procedures, documenting how associates should reset, restart and interface with the Material Handling Equipment, as needed, to maximize productivity and minimize system downtime.
- Review, verify and diagnose design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies with controls logic and/or robotics logic provided by suppliers and proactively recommend revisions and/or improvements
- Engage in design review sessions and provide recommendations and feedback to the Fulfillment Engineering team in order to positively affect changes in next generation automated equipment
- Demonstrate understanding of SCADA, Sensor and Vision technologies, Complex Mechanical designs and various types of controls for automated systems
- Be proficient in maintaining and improving existing systems
- Work collaboratively with design engineers, operations engineers, operations associates, IT, facilities maintenance and other internal staff
- Lead Resident Engineers in improving controls logic and robotics software/code
- Use thorough understanding of control systems in dealing with electrical, motion, vision, pneumatic & hydraulic controls.
- Test and document safety systems for the machines adhering to established site-specific requirements (Pilz, AB, Siemens, etc.)
- Read and properly interpret electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic drawings
- Use experience with vision systems (Keyence, Cognex, etc.) and knowledge of different fieldbus systems and its implementation to perform duties
How You’ll Know it’s Right
Judgment: Make Informed Judgments - Uses relevant business metrics, analyses, and reports to measure, monitor, and improve performance. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions. Looks beyond symptoms to determine the root causes of problems, and identifies and implements applicable solutions. Integrates knowledge and expertise in making fact-based recommendations and decisions.
Execution and Results: Ensure Execution and Achieve Results - Conveys a sense of urgency to complete and achieve goals. Pursues the achievement and alignment of measurable and meaningful goals. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, and projects to ensure accomplishment of results.
Ethics and Compliance: Ensure Ethics and Compliance - Actively communicates, trains, and guides associates on compliance with policies and procedures. Maintains an environment that promotes and reinforces the highest standards of integrity and ethics. Anticipates potential issues and takes action to enhance compliance.
Adaptability: Adapt and Learn - Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities. Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Identifies and takes steps to improve adaptability and continuous learning capabilities in own organization.
Build Relationships: Network Internally and Externally - Builds trusting, collaborative relationships and alliances with others, inside and outside of the organization. Relates to others in a manner that is accepting and respectful, regardless of their organizational level, personality, or background. Promotes a team-based work environment that respects, embraces, and values diversity in others.
While this position is resident to a specific facility, limited travel domestically to and from other Fulfillment Centers within our network may be necessary to attend training, engage in design review sessions, continuous improvement sessions and otherwise provide assistance if needed. These may require limited overnight stays.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Robotics, or equivalent Engineering qualification/certification
- Vocational training in Electrical, Controls, Robotics, or equivalent qualification/certification
- 7+ years of relevant hands on PLC and Robotics experience (ABB, Kuka, Fanuc, Motoman, etc)
- 3+ years of experience in evaluating, repairing and analyzing of robotic systems
- 7+ years of experience evaluating, modifying and writing controls logic
- 5+ years of experience troubleshooting, repairing and calibrating electrical systems
- Master's Degree in Technical field or Business Management is a plus
- Lean Manufacturing Experience a Major Plus
- Experience with Material Handling Systems, ie. Cranes, Shuttles, AGV’s, ASRS and Sortation equipment
- Experience working in one or more of the following industries: Automotive, Aerospace, Material Handling, Pharmaceutical, Machine Packaging, Food/Beverage Processing, Machining or Tooling
Jet.com is changing the way the world shops. Founded on three simple values – trust, transparency and fairness – Jet is powered by a real-time pricing engine that finds innovative ways to pull costs out of the supply chain, creating more value for shoppers, retailers, and brands. Based in Hoboken, NJ—just ten minutes from Manhattan—our team of builders, thinkers, risk-takers, and dreamers is pushing the boundaries to create a world-class shopping experience. To win, we need people like YOU: curious, determined, and outrageously passionate. Sound like a fit? Let’s make a date.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents