Principal Systems Software Engineer, Data Team (Big Fast Data Tech)
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Department Technology & Software Development
- Team Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition 880848BR
What you'll do at Walmart LabsWe have one of the largest open source based big data infrastructure among companies, tons of use cases and customers. Very challenging problems to solve. Have a chance to have a huge impact on a Fortune 1 company and numerous customers. The team is very flexible in terms of locations and ways of working and the chemistry among team members is great.
The individuals impact is hard to match elsewhere, measured in teams of how an individual can impact the whole business. They would also be able to have the flexibility to work on interesting open-sourced projects, which is sometimes hard elsewhere.
The candidate can help build the open-sourced based big data infrastructure to help data scientists and application developers to make value out of data more effectively and more efficiently. They would save a huge amount of time and enable new capabilities of data science never imagined before.
As a Principal Systems Software Engineer on our BFD (Big Fast Data) Tech Team, you will be working on large scale systems that enable the efficient processing and analysis of big data at the Walmart scale. We will develop various tools to enable Walmart to make data-driven decisions and speed the delivery of revenue generating services. With a huge customer base around the globe, a career at Walmart will give you opportunities to make people’s lives better.
BFD Tech's full-stack approach and end-to-end team responsibility mean that you will be involved in building an entire system from design, implementation, packaging and deployment to user and developer support. The specific challenges will vary from one system to the next, but expect BFD themes to include large scale data processing, real-time distributed systems, cluster resource management, and working with key data that powers Walmart. Expect to dive into the open source community, whether as adoptee or contributor, to take on any project you need to make it do your bidding----or take on new code to push the frontier of what's possible.
The Staff Systems Software Engineer will be responsible for but not limited to:
• Design, prototype and develop reusable tools for the processing and analysis of petabytes of data
• Work on the next generation resource management frameworks
• Work on the Hadoop/Spark ecosystem projects
• Work with and further develop open-source software such as Apache Yarn, Apache Hive, Apache Mesos, Apache Spark, and more
• Be at the forefront of solutions for distributed processing, live-data-stream computation, real-time indexing, capacity planning, and performance tuning
The Desired Skill-set:
• Strong background in process design for reliable systems; strong "big picture" awareness of systems
• Good generalist experience, with ability and willingness to read and write into all layers of the software stack
• Experience working with operations or with deployment, monitoring, and other sustainable operation of software
• Working knowledge of standard tools for optimizing and testing code; a plus to have experience building tools/apps, software libraries/frameworks, and/or working with custom-built tools
• Expertise in distributed/scalable systems and algorithms with awareness of time and space complexity
• Passionate about building massively scalable infrastructure
• Extensive experience working with large scale data processing
• Strong proficiency in developing and debugging C/C++ and/or Java on *nix
• Extensive Unix/Linux systems-programming experience
• Past experience with distributed databases, distributed systems, server architectures and file systems is also a huge plus
"I feel like my manager wants to help me become a better developer and a better person overall."
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents