Staff Software Engineer
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Department Technology & Software Development
- Team Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition 833601BR
What you'll do at Walmart LabsDo you want to work on the product recommender and personalization systems for one of the largest ecommerce sites in the world?
We draw signals from customers both in batch and realtime and build the highest conversion recommendation models, not just for Walmart.com but for various other online properties owned by Walmart.
Our team has delivered incremental revenue lifts in the range of $100M+ to Walmart.com. Our backend system is built on Scala/Scalding and we use functional programming in combination with new and novel machine learning techniques.
We are looking for a passionate candidate with strong analytical/statistical skills to join our team and help streamline our recommender system and build the next generation product that can work on multiple online destinations owned by Walmart. You will be responsible for end-to-end ETL workflows, statistical analysis of A/B test experiments, design and deployment of machine learnt models. We are in the early stages of productizing our recommendation system (from workflow management to learning to rank algorithms, offline ranking measurements and reporting) and the design of the system will fundamentally affect Walmart's personalization efforts across several different domains.
Several of the approaches we have developed when building our system are new and novel. The candidate must be a fast and willing learner with the ability to execute in a team environment with competing priorities.
- Algorithmic analysis skills and ability to design with various time/space/quality/latency trade-offs
- Exposure to batch algorithms/systems such as Hadoop, Hive, Scalding, Map Reduce
- Experience with scripting in Scala/Python etc.
- BS + 6 years, MS + 4 years, PhD + 1 year of work experience in a similar role
- Ability to navigate and work through ambiguity
- Proven background in Distributed Computing, Data Warehousing, ETL development, and large scale data processing
- Strong functional programming skills in Scala/ML/Haskell/Lisp etc.
- Background in statistics, hypothesis testing etc.
- Knowledge of Spark, Storm, Kafka, NoSQL databases
- Good testing practices (unit, integration, system) with automation
"I feel like my manager wants to help me become a better developer and a better person overall."
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents