Director, Development COE (CDO)
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Project and Program Management - Technology
- Job Function Project and Program Management – Technology
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1242197BR
What you'll do at
This role will focus on,
- Bringing out the leader in every person
- A holistic approach to development that emphasizes not just education, but also self-awareness, exposure to real-world problems, connections to people, and persuasive tools and resources that reinforce skills
- Positioning our people to help tackle some of the most complex issues in big-data, data science and our communities and society at large.
Key interactions will exist with the Chief Data Officer team, Walmart’s business executives, product management, data science, data stewardship, and engineering teams.
The Director, Development COE (CDO) will report to the Senior Director, Change Management (CDO).
Our organization focuses on the fundamentals of transformation—practices concentrate on leadership, change, operating model transformation, talent strategy, communications, and execution rigor. We empower our business to leverage data to fuel growth, driving revenue in our core and building new business model opportunities. Our mission requires Walmart to elevate the level of active leadership, move at a faster pace, include employees in decision-making, and ingrain new skills and behaviors. As a leader within the broader Global Data Organization, you’ll have a once in a lifetime opportunity to establish the development programs required to positioning our people to tackle some of the most complex data and science challenges in business. You’ll work in a close partnership with CDO leaders, change specialists, scientists, product managers, data stewards, analyst, engineering and platforms teams around the world.
- Serve as the curriculum architect and lead the design of innovative big-data and analytics learning solutions that improve performance, drive business outcomes, and engage the modern learner.
- Create and implement a development strategy that drives the strategic business goals for your learning audience – in this case, data and analytics users and highly-technical practitioners around the world.
- Serve as a credible and trusted development advisor on effective and leading-edge learning strategies.
- Provide leadership, design insight and delivery best practices for big-data and analytics milestone programs.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to conduct robust needs assessments that define development priorities.
- Maintain, evolve and expand the curriculum, leveraging best practices and future-focused innovations too:
o Buy, build, and/or redesign solutions as needed.
o Recommend appropriate delivery mechanisms (e.g., classroom, on demand, virtual classroom, performance support, blended learning).
o Develop the vision, strategy, and implementation plan to drive learning beyond the classroom, employing emerging technologies and creative design ideas to make learning "sticky."
- Create an annual development plan to execute the curriculum strategy and bring value to the business. Actively manage the annual budget and forecast with period-by-period accuracy.
- Own and optimize your portfolio’s operations, including demand analysis, budgeting, resources, faculty strategy, delivery management, communications, evaluation, reporting, and vendor relationships.
- Oversee the analysis of learner feedback and other data to promote continuous improvement of development solutions, consistently moving development to the next level.
- Execute with strong project management skills, including monitoring work-plans and managing against milestones, knowing what to prioritize and why, knowing who to keep informed, and when to escalate.
- Lead with excellence and foster high-performing teams in virtual environments; develop people through advocacy, coaching, mentoring and training.
- Ensure global policies, programs and guidelines are followed and manage exceptions and escalations.
- Actively partner with global learning teammates to align on shared priorities, leverage work, and provide leading-edge development for the modern learner.
- Contribute to additional talent and change initiatives aligned with individual strengths and goals as opportunities present.
- Develop a view of ROI/Business value created considering resource and expenses against business value created.
- Be a center of excellence in the clarity of alignment and communication to all levels of the organization.
- Relationship Building / Influencing. Demonstrate effective and appropriate influencing skills with senior management/partners, combining high-level human capital knowledge with deep organizational understanding. Build strong relationships with solid trust and mutual respect as the foundation. Leverage strong judgment skills to make decisions. Instinctively know when and how to introduce change, in such a way that it is broadly accepted and institutionalized.
- Strong Intellect. Bright individual, with the ability to combine analytical reasoning, creativity and judgment. A quick study, able to handle complex matters, with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously. Able to deal effectively with strategic issues, as well as tactical, operational details.
- Entrepreneurial Self-starter. Able to build teams and practices, challenge the status-quo sensitively and constructively. Intellectually agile, self-confident and articulate.
- Highly Ethical. Can be trusted to do only the “right thing” for the employees, shareholders, and others. Follows a balanced approach without compromising integrity.
- Values and Leadership. Demonstrates alignment to Walmart values and can influence and motivate. Demonstrates commitment to growing and developing internal talent.
- Results Oriented. Energetic, resourceful, with active service orientation and a positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to delivering outstanding work. Never satisfied with status-quo, continually striving for excellence. Enjoys working hands-on.
- Change Agent. Comfortable designing for the future, while managing day-to-day people matters. Able to anticipate risks and propose practical plans to mitigate them.
- Low Ego. Puts needs of the business ahead of themselves. Operates transparently without a personal agenda. Possesses a well-developed sense of humor and listens first.
- Ten-plus years of talent development, and/or human capital consultation with exposure to an innovative business, one that continues to reinvent their business proposition.
- Industry experience is open with a strong preference for big-data, data science, software development, and agile practices. Prior consultant experience and/or multi-company experience is strongly preferred.
- Ten-plus years of successful business partnership at a divisional/executive level, with proven success in linking development strategies to the business
- Proven ability to operate strategically and have a hands-on approach.
- Successful implementation of operational and strategic talent programs and processes across a dispersed region. Possess strong influencing and interpersonal skills, honed in a demanding and high performing work environment
- A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree, in a related field, is preferred
- Entrepreneurial attitude with a focus on goals while exhibiting personal integrity and a focus on the customer
- Proven ability to drive results, especially in a matrixed or influence based environment
- Strong relationship building skills, coupled with high business acumen
- Good working knowledge of the value of delivering insights through data and analytics.
- Detail oriented leader with an ability to work, develop, and think at a strategic level.
Additionally, the appetite to work with the teams to dig into data, processes, issues, to identify the root-cause problems and remedies is a very desirable strength.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts