2019 MBA Summer Intern - Sam's Club Merchandising
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Merchandising and Online Operations
- Job Function Merchandising and Sourcing
- Employment Type Internship
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition 1240152BR
What you'll do at
Sam’s Club President and CEO
Sam’s Club Merchandising
We’ve upped our game. Our goal is to become the destination for merchants and we’re making this happen. This year we restructured our team and have two levels of merchants below DMM: Merchants and Senior Merchants. Here’s why this matters: a Sam’s Club merchant will become synonymous with expert – and expertise is built over time. We give our merchants the time, resources and rewards needed to build category and item expertise.
Two years ago, our average tenure on a desk was 2 years, and we’ve doubled it to 4 – and we’re not finished. We are attracting, retaining and developing the best talent in merchandising, and our results show it’s working.
Our team is focused on finding the best items and offering them to our members at disruptive prices. When we do this, we drive volume – and volume creates memberships. This is the definition of warehouse retail and we are out to win.
Sam’s Club Merchants Here’s what we know: Great merchants aren’t made in school. An education teaches important tools and training, but merchandising at scale is an art learned best through experience. Knowing this, here’s what we’re looking for in candidates:
• Intelligence. Understand how things work and know when you have enough information to make an informed and smart risk.
• Intellectual Curiosity. See the “what could be,” in addition to the “what is.” Be a student of the trade and know how to integrate insights into business plans.
• Competitive streak. Merchandising is a game. Either you want to win or you don’t. In the high-stakes game of retail today, we only want people who want to do things the right way to win.
• Embrace ambiguity. Merchandising is an art, and even the best data and insights can’t guarantee a win. Merchants must flourish in the gray space and demonstrate nimble leadership in the process.
• Obsessed with the game. The best merchants are strategic, unapologetic negotiators who have learned – and know – the ins-and-outs of their business. In addition to understanding trends and picking items, they think about supply chain, product development and packaging – and they build relationships based on trust and respect.
If someone comes to Sam’s Club with these qualities, we’ve learned we can quickly teach them the nuances of curating an assortment at scale. If this sounds interesting, here’s what you can expect from us:
• Opportunity. You will have the chance to build a career that rewards experience and performance. You will be given the opportunity to learn from some of the best merchants in retail and encouraged to ask questions to develop a deep understanding of the business and how to curate an assortment.
• Experience at Scale. Last year, Sam’s Club reported total sales of roughly $59 billion and is one of the largest retailers in the country. Managing a desk at Sam’s Club means you’ll be the first point of contact for that category and treated as the expert. You’ll start by managing million-dollar categories and will be shown the path to managing billion-dollar assortments, if that’s your goal.
• Teamwork and Fun. The business of merchandising can be stressful, and we know not every items are winners. We pride ourselves on being a strong team of committed players who are there for each other. No one goes this alone and wins - you’ll have a lot of great people in your corner.
• Demonstrate excellence at both high-level strategic thinking and detailed execution
• Be data-driven and use insights to provide thought-provoking and workable solutions
• Successfully at influence others and lead teams with direct and indirect reporting structure
• Manage multiple, contending priorities simultaneously
• Thrive in an ambiguous environment
• Be self-motivated and meet deadlines
• Be a team player
• Currently enrolled in a MBA program at the time of application with one summer for internship availability before start date
• Two years of industry or military work experience prior to MBA program
• Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
About Sam's Club
Sam's Club employs about 110,000 associates in the U.S. The average club is 134,000 square feet and offers bulk groceries and general merchandise. Most clubs also have specialty services, such as a pharmacy, an optical department, a photo center, or a tire and battery center.
"Working at Walmart is about being part of something bigger than yourself. The work we do impacts families and communities across the world."
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents