Senior Director, Data Governance
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1188776BR
What you'll do at
The Data Governance and Stewardship Lead will report to the Data Enablement Lead, and will be tasked with creating data policies and procedures that ensure the availability of high quality data for business and technical users, and working with our community of data stewards to ensure successful adoption and implementation of these procedures. This role will partner with key stakeholders across the business including data stewards and other roles in key functional domains (e.g. supply chain, merchandising, customer), business lines (e.g. online grocery, health and wellness), technology teams and enterprise functions (e.g. HR, legal and procurement).
● Develop and drive adoption of policies and procedures for the management, governance, and productization of Enterprise Data assets, including monitoring/audit and issue escalation paths
● Define standards for managing data across its lifecycle at Walmart (across domain-specific data marts and operational stores, and the central data warehouse/lake)
● Define and track ownership and lineage of datasets across Walmart, and develop a plan to consolidate duplicate datasets and reach a single source of truth
● Define, measure and report on data quality and availability, and develop a plan within and across domains to improve these metrics
● Work with data stewards to identify appropriate measures and levels of quality and determine the work required to deliver high quality data
● Identify critical datasets that are used across domains, and lead the agreement of standards and ownership that will ensure effective availability and quality of these datasets
● Maintain a single catalog for data across Walmart, with appropriate rich metadata to enable productive self-service usage
● Ensure that corporate and regulatory policies for data handling are implemented in specific procedures and tools for security, retention, access and storage
● Partner with the data & analytics technology platform team to ensure that tools are fit for purpose and support an agile and scalable organization in relation to data governance and stewardship
● Define and drive adoption of best practices for data stewards
● Develop policies, procedures and processes for data across the entire Walmart network, ensuring that the varied needs of different stakeholders are met
● Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the company’s principal information assets
● Establish a professional development/continuous learning program for data stewards across the organization
● Create career path for governance and stewardship professionals to ensure retention of top talent
● Works with business and technology product, analytics and data science teams to understand their data needs. Work with data stewards to provides options, tradeoffs, and alternative sources in collaboration with the data partnerships team
● Increase Walmart’s readiness to understand, manage, and drive responsible insights from its data assets. Partnering with the broader CDO team, develop and implement training modules, webinars, and collateral to drive awareness and action on industry best practices, tools, and capabilities.
● At least 7 years of professional experience in roles focused on data governance and stewardship
● Experience with tools such as Informatica and Collibra for data lifecycle management tasks including master data management, quality assurance, transformation, metadata management and discovery
● Experience with data warehouse design and dimensional modeling
● Familiarity with modern data technologies in data lakes (Apache Hadoop, Spark, Ranger, Atlas, and varieties of relational and non-relational storage) and leading cloud technology services
● Experience of defining data procedures and policies across an enterprise
● Previous roles with leading companies in the retail industry are a plus
● Entrepreneurial attitude, and ability to drive change and navigate ambiguity when building new capabilities in an enterprise setting
● Background in managing technology teams and partnering with technology/IT leaders is highly desirable
● Good knowledge of agile methodologies and tools is highly desirable
● Passion for serving customers and understanding/delivering against their needs
● Superior executive relationship building and communication skills, and experience in working/driving results across teams in different disciplines (product, security, sales, legal, compliance, HR, etc.), including communicating recommendations to senior leaders. Experience working in a global environment, both with internal and external stakeholders, is a plus.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts