Senior Director, Data Science Strategy & Community
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1188768BR
What you'll do at
The Data Enablement Lead will report to the Chief Data Officer, and will collaborate with senior executives from across the business including the leaders of key functional domains (e.g. supply chain, merchandising, customer), business lines (e.g. online grocery, health and wellness), technology teams and enterprise functions (e.g. HR, legal and procurement).
● Protecting and governing our data asset
○ Develop and drive adoption of policies and procedures for the management, governance, and productization of Enterprise Data assets, including monitoring/audit and issue escalation paths
○ Define standards for managing data across its lifecycle at Walmart (across domain-specific data marts and operational stores, and the central data warehouse/lake)
○ Create the framework for handling governance globally to support local market needs and compliance regulations
○ Define and track ownership of datasets across Walmart
○ Define, measure and report on data quality and availability, and develop a plan within and across domains to improve these metrics
○ Work with data stewards to identify appropriate measures and levels of quality and determine the work required to deliver high quality data
○ Identify critical datasets that are used across domains, and lead the agreement of standards and ownership that will ensure effective availability and quality of these datasets
○ Run cross-company executive forums (lead the Data Risk and Protection Forum, and support Data Value Creation Forum) to share best practice, resolve interdependencies and drive progress
○ Maintain a single catalog for data across Walmart, with appropriate rich metadata to enable productive self-service usage
○ Ensure that corporate and regulatory policies for data handling are implemented in specific procedures and tools for security, retention, access and storage
○ Partner with the data & analytics technology platform team to ensure that tools are fit for purpose and support an agile and scalable organization, particulary in relation to data governance and stewardship
○ Define and drive adoption of best practices for data stewards, and establish target skills, career path, training programs and best practice sharing events for this community
○ Increase Walmart’s readiness to understand, manage, and drive responsible insights from its data assets. Partnering with the broader CDO team, develop and implement training modules, webinars, and collateral to drive awareness and action on industry best practices, tools, and capabilities.
● Delivery of self-service access to clean, usable data for our business users, analysts, developers and data scientists
○ Manage Data Solution teams in defining the transformations and engineering work required to deliver datasets with the appropriate characteristics (e.g. format, completeness/coverage, quality, latency) for the desired usage patterns and use cases, drawing on input from the Data Value Lead, data stewards and domain product managers
○ Managing Data Engineering teams in the delivery of data transformation pipelines and self-service data environment
○ Implement a standard data engineering process that can rapidly and efficiently deliver high-quality data assets, and that ensures quality, security and p
● At least 15 years of professional experience in data-intensive companies, in roles that were responsible for enterprise data management and governance
● Experience of managing data compliance and risk is essential
● Experience of defining data procedures and policies across an enterprise is highly essential
● Background in running data acquisition (across internal sources and the external market ecosystem) and handling negotiation of data partnerships is essential
● Background in managing data governance and engineering teams is highly desirable.
● Previous roles with leading companies in the retail industry is a plus
● Entrepreneurial attitude, and ability to drive change and navigate ambiguity when building new capabilities in an enterprise setting.
● Background in managing technology teams and partnering with technology/IT leaders is highly desirable.
● Good knowledge of agile methodologies and tools is highly desirable.
● Passion for serving customers and understanding/delivering against their needs.
● Track record of hiring, managing, and retaining high-performing teams.
● Superior executive relationship building and communication skills, and experience in working/driving results across teams in different disciplines (product, security, sales, legal, compliance, HR, etc.), including communicating recommendations to senior leaders. Experience working in a global environment, both with internal and external stakeholders, is a plus.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts