Staff Systems Engineer
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1079344BR
What you'll do at
You're right for the job if you are comfortable leading major incident response in technical team of engineer’s laser focused on restoring service across complex distributed architectures. You'll excel if you have enthusiasm for digging deep, and a flare for sharp technical communication, prioritization and organization. You will work directly with our SRE, Engineering and DevOps teams to support our next generation “always up” cloud based e-commerce platform.
The Technical Duty Officer (TDO) is responsible for the availability and performance of our global sites. The TDO will take command and control of Major Incidents focusing on restoration by identifying and coordinating with appropriate resources through all the phases of triage, restoration and validation. Technically you will understand the full end to end stack and use this knowledge to detect and lead a team through incident response. Excellent judgement is crucial as you will provide final approval on site changes and hold critical switches for functionality of the site. You will ensure all documentation surrounding the Major Incidents are accurate and communication with the leadership team is clear and complete. Your ability to continuously challenge yourself and develop a strong network with peers and stakeholders cross functionally will see you exceed in this role. Our goal is to protect the customer experience and deliver outstanding levels of availability. To do so, you will need strong skills in the following areas:
- Control incident management processes and procedures.
- Calm under pressure when controlling major incident response.
- Excellent end to end technical understanding of core infrastructure, cloud services, platforms and micro-services.
- Ability to understand and capture key data from various sources, systems and people.
- Ability to understand traffic flows and key dependencies between services.
- Ability to effectively triage – be able to detect and determine symptom vs cause.
- Act as a technical leader and coach within the CRC.
- Analyze trends to pro-actively prevent incidents.
- Focus on leading immediate restoration vs root cause.
- Develop alternative actions for incident resolution – Develop procedures and documentation to support this.
- Create and maintain procedural documentation.
- Identify and drive continuous improvement efforts to reduce waste (eliminate, automate or streamline).
- Absorb knowledge and understand complex distributed systems - ability to share and impart this knowledge into your peer group and beyond.
- Develop automation and self-healing with DevOps, Engineering and SRE partners.
- Strong focus on collecting and inferring metrics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to control multiple incidents at any given time.
- Scripting and software development to automate and help enhance existing solutions.
- Defines system architecture and tactical solutions.
- Provide data for and actively participate in root cause analysis partnering with the Problem Management function
- Demonstrate excellent judgement in decision making.
- Understanding and consideration of business strategies and priorities.
- Coach and help develop CRC engineers.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Adhere to CRC onboarding process when accepting new systems into service.
- Share knowledge globally between CRC teams.
- Analyze systems and make recommendations to prevent possible incidents.
- Strive for continuous improvement and make recommendations based on CRC process.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience.
- Strong and demonstrable incident management skills with relevant experience in an enterprise organization.
- Experience and exposure working in a 24/7 operations support environment.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills.
- Methodical and systematic problem solving approach, combined with a solid awareness of ownership, initiative and drive.
- Experience investigating, analyzing and troubleshooting large scale enterprise systems.
- Networking knowledge and understanding of network concepts, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc.), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Experience administering Unix/Linux in a production environment.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way.
- Experience working with and developing enterprise monitoring/tooling solutions like Grafana, Kibana, Splunk, Graphite, Nagios, New Relic, Greylog and HPOM.
- Working knowledge of one or more cloud technologies such as AWS, AZURE OpenStack.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts