Principal Software Engineer - Cloud Optimization - Walmart Labs
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Engineering
- Job Function Engineering
- Employment Type Full Time
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition 1067252BR
What you'll do at
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Today, nearly 260 million customers visit our more than 11,500 stores under 72 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce sites in 11 countries each week. With fiscal year 2016 revenue of $482.1 billion, Walmart employs 2.3 million associates worldwide – 1.5 million in the U.S. alone. It’s all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
We are a team of software engineers working to build systems that can optimize our allocation of resources to support computing systems that span multiple private data centers and public cloud providers. Walmart’s secret to success has been public knowledge since the founding of the company more than 50 years ago – we are focused on operating efficiently and keeping track of all aspects of our operating budget. Our team supports this core mission by engineering solutions that allow us to keep track of the computing resources at the scale of Walmart. We use these systems to track and manage spend for both public and private cloud systems include one of the largest Openstack clouds in the industry alongside our substantial investment in public cloud. Our hybrid cloud approach requires us to build systems that are continuously optimizing spend and resource allocation in a highly dynamic environment.
We are seeking individuals who have solid understanding of public cloud usage patterns that have the skillset to lead a technical team implementing systems to support gathering usage and cost data from several sources. You will be building systems to both track usage and cost as well as systems to identify opportunities for efficiency and optimize allocation and spend across several cloud-based systems. We are looking for individuals with the skillset, the experience and the disposition to learn new APIs and systems offered by public cloud providers. Your passion to learn, solid communication skills, and your ability to work well with others are essential for success in this role.
As part of the Walmart Capacity Management team @Walmart Labs you will have the opportunity to make a difference by helping Walmart optimize Walmart’s spend on public and private cloud by building systems that deliver data both to users and systems designed to automatically act on capacity and usage data in real-time. You will be a senior member of a team of engineers that are focused on driving teams toward greater efficiency.
• Create integrated views of usage, utilization, and cost data for hybrid applications with complex architectures spanning multiple public and private clouds.
• Interact with technology finance to understand how Walmart tracks spend and allocation of technology resources across multiple technologies and markets.
• Develop systems to provide predictive modeling to simulate several scenarios for both new and running systems to optimize spend on public and private cloud.
• Engineer solutions that can track system utilization and demand against systems that provide variable or spot prices for on-demand consumption of resources.
• Develop a dynamic pricing model with finance to create a more market-driven approach for pricing cloud-based resources.
• 3-5 years of experience working with a variety of technology systems
• Experience working in Retail/Public Service/Banking system related IT engineering
• Strong computer science fundamentals in algorithms, data structures, memory management, computer resource management, databases, operating systems, etc.
• Several years of experience building databases and creating both schemas and object models.
• Familiarity with public clouds and experience using APIs from one or more public cloud providers.
• Experience in building scalable/highly available distributed systems in production.
• Ability to work with distributed teams in a collaborative and productive manner.
• A self-motivated learner with a strong customer focus and obsession with quality and computational efficiency.
• Experience in or willingness to work as part of an open source project.
Our Ideal Candidate:
You have a deep interest and passion for technology. You love learning, developing and creating efficient code. You enjoy working with people who will challenge you at every stage. You have strong problem solving, analytic, design, architecture, and communication skills. You are self-driven and motivated with the desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment with varied responsibilities. You have have a good understanding of programming and a proven ability to architect APIs and systems at scale. You’ve developed and supported an application on the public cloud.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts