Director, Data Science, Technology (Customer)
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD294253
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
At Walmart, we pride ourselves for knowing our customers and connecting with them better than any other company. We interact with our customers across more categories than any company in the world.
The Core Intelligence team which is a part of the Metrics and Measurement team in the Customer Org at Walmart analyzes every store trip, web/ app visit, service interaction, search, click, purchase, survey responses etc. to help deliver the easiest shopping experience both digitally and physically. We are a team comprised of decision science practitioners that work together to uncover the why behind the customer behavior while measuring the outcomes from a customer and competitive lens.
As the Data/ Decision Science leader in the team, you will have the unique opportunity to leverage the power of technology, big data and analytics to improve the lives of the 100M+ households that shop at Walmart every year.
Our ideal candidate is a sharp, thoughtful, and collaborative problem solver and people leader, who enjoys identifying key business levers and challenges, and then building data products and analytics frameworks to enable strategic decision making. You will have direct visibility with exec leadership team and will drive initiatives to support the rapid growth of our online and omni-channel customer base. You will work closely with your peers and cross functional partners to help drive Monthly Business Reviews, provide business insights, dashboards and KPIs with a robust foundation.
You also have a strong combination of business acumen and data science background, as well as an intense hunger to make a significant business impact by owning and driving business outcomes.
This is a full-time position and will report to the Senior Director of Core Intelligence.
What we’d like to see
- Talent leadership – Rich experience around building world class data science teams focused on solving the right and the most important problems with a focus on impact. You have a demonstrated track records of attracting top data/ analytics talent, developing high performing teams, a knack for keeping top talent engaged and challenged.
- Well balanced skills – People have trouble pinning you down. Both business and technical/ data teams claim you as their own. You are equal parts technical and functional. You are equally comfortable and effective in persuading both technical and business audience
- Great communicator – You’re capable of telling the story behind the data and resulting insights to exec audience and you are a pro at building slide decks that can simplify any complex story. You can customize your communication style based on stakeholders. You can guide and coach junior associates on story types, structures, and techniques based on context.
- Business acumen – You are able to anticipate the needs of business stakeholders in the relevant business context
- Analytics expertise – You excel at designing and building new and impactful KPIs and metrics to measure customer and competitive dynamics. You are equally strong at getting into the weeds and making sure that the data needed to support these metrics is consistent and available. You are very comfortable rolling up your sleeves when needed and writing complex SQL queries for quick prototyping and helping junior associates debug their work and raise the bar.
- Data Visualization – You are a pro at leveraging visualization to build compelling stories based on context to integrate multiple pieces of information into cohesive insights.
- Hire and develop/ coach/ mentor a team of Data/Decision scientists and junior leaders
- Partner with C-suite, corporate strategy, marketing, merchandising, research, product, finance and engineering organizations to drive outcomes
- Have a very strong product mindset and proactively ideate and design relevant data products
- Drive the development of quantitative analysis, designing new KPIs, ad hoc reports, and predictive models to support decision making
- Design and execute experiments to achieve business objectives and drive optimization
- Partner with Data and tech Engineers to define data and tracking requirements
- Translate data insights into actions and recommendations and self-serve products
- Produce visuals (charts, infographics) and presentations to clearly and effectively communicate findings to stakeholders and leadership
- Analyze and maintain customer KPIs and metrics to identify cause-effect relationships between business actions and behavioral & attitudinal customer outcomes
- Work closely with the Research, Data and Business Intelligence teams
- 8+ years of experience with data/ decision science
- Proven experience in leading data-driven projects from definition to execution, driving and influencing product and marketing roadmaps
- Direct experience working with very large data-sets
- Experience with at least one scripting language (R, Python)
- Deep expertise in writing and debugging complex SQL queries
- Presentation experience and a proven track record of using insights to influence executives and colleagues
- Degree in Computer Science, statistics or a related quantitative field, MBA or management consulting experience
- Retail/ e-commerce domain experience
Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 6
years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 8 years' experience in an analytics or related
2 years' supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Supervisory, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents