Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
2024 Summer Intern: Data Science (Sam's Club)
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Business Operations
- Job Function Business Operations
- Employment Type Intern/Co-Op/Grad (Trainee)
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition WD1652830
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Day in the Life of Sam’s Club Tech:
If you’re thinking ‘scale’, think bigger and don’t stop there. Within Tech at Sam’s Club, we don’t just innovate, we enable transformations across clubs and different channels for the Sam’s Club experience. We innovate to deliver a simple and seamless experience for our members. Our tech talent solves the biggest and most complex problems. We drive digital transformation where data and analytics are enabling us to better serve our members and create a digital relationship with them. As our members evolve and adapt, we are taking it a few notches further here. We’re changing what members can expect from the experience of shopping, from the physical clubs, to mobile, social, and even online; we’re not just ready for the future of shopping, we’re creating it.
About Our Program:
During the 11-week program, our interns work directly with teams who are changing the way the world shops. This is the beginning of what could be an exciting career with Sam’s Club!
The intern experience includes:
· An impactful individual project designed to align to your skillsets and interests
· Direct access to leadership across the enterprise
· Executive-led speaker sessions with insightful Q&A
· Community outreach events
· Networking and social events
· Learning & development opportunities targeting both hard and soft skills
· Deep dives into different areas of our business
· Time management and leadership development as a full-time associate
· An in-depth look at our Culture, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (CDEI) practices
· Compensation and housing assistance provided
Roles & Responsibilities:
Applied Business Acumen
· Identifies and helps design solutions to business problems based on machine learning and other advanced algorithms
· Owns delivery of the piece of the project assigned by the broader team
· Helps define measurement and implementation plans to unlock business value
· Translates problems that need solving into algorithmic solutions
· Gains expertise in the domain area to identify the boundaries of the problem and helps design a strong solution for it
Data Source Identification
· Works with product and data experts to explore various datasets and identify those most appropriate
· Builds data quality checks to ensure the integrity of data pipelines used in the solution
· Owns technical solution development, learning requirements and best practices from the team
· Leverages exploratory data analysis techniques to understand the data
· Defines and engineers features, builds and evaluates simple models, then adds complexity to modeling as needed
· Drives measurement of the solution
Model Assessment & Validation
· Supports model fit testing and statistical inference to evaluate performance
· Assesses the impact of variables and features on inference results and business outcomes.
Model Deployment & Scaling
· Writes production-ready analytical models and data pipelines
· Gains experience in production support, using those skills for evaluations, tracking, and alerting of key KPIs
Code Development & Testing
· Develops code according to project requirements, in the recommended language
· Modifies and enhances code based on code reviews
· Implements unit tests, integration tests, and code quality checks to ensure quality deployments
· Creates visualizations for key datasets and models to highlight contributions made to the project and team
· Presents new ideas to stakeholders using appropriate graphing libraries and BI tools
· Develops insights about model health, data quality, and business processes to meet members needs
Office Environment: Corporate
Sam’s Club Tech Hub Location(s): Bentonville, AR | Dallas, TX | Atlanta, GA
*Location availability is based on job profile and business needs.
Desired Majors: Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, or other relevant majors
· Must be enrolled in a Master’s degree program currently
· Expected graduation date between December 2024-August 2025
· 0-2 years of full-time relevant experience (excludes internship and research-based roles)
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Primary Location...2101 SE SIMPLE SAVINGS DR, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712-4304, United States of America
About Sam's Club
Sam's Club employs about 110,000 associates in the U.S. The average club is 134,000 square feet and offers bulk groceries and general merchandise. Most clubs also have specialty services, such as a pharmacy, an optical department, a photo center, or a tire and battery center.
Sam’s Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Free Membership and discounts in fresh produce
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Paid education assistance with college degrees through our Live Better U program
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid time off - to include vacation, sick leave and parental leave
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth