Senior Director, Data Scientist - Customer Experience
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1729461
What you'll do at
Senior Director, Data Scientist – Customer Experience
Walmart’s Customer organization is evolving to the next generation, with a focus on providing the best online and in store experience for customers. Customer Science is an integral part of this organization that leads the customer science, planning and strategy development, customer journey, communications, as well as in store and online experience for the 140 million U.S. customers that shop at Walmart every week. Whether in store or online Walmart is serving customers’ changing needs of retail.
As a part of Walmart’s Customer Science team you’ll be the voice of our customer. Why? Because Sam Walton founded our company with the belief that the customer is #1. It’s not just a belief, but our way of doing business. With the customer at the forefront, we have the ability to help deliver the easiest shopping experience at the lowest cost, both digitally and physically. That’s where you come in.
As the Senior Director, Data Scientist – Customer Experience, you’ll lead a group of experienced insights consultants to enable customer centric decision making with a variety of insights and analytics tools. You will consult with our senior executives to help them envision the future and prioritize where to invest in their businesses based on customer needs and pain points. You will be a thought partner and trusted advisor to the business and marketing leadership as well as develop key strategic partnerships, ensuring that the customer is always at the center of strategic discussions. Your role will require not only customer advocacy but also deep industry expertise as well as a strong appreciation for Walmart’s business strategies and processes.
- Leads the continuous improvement of data science and analytics across the enterprise by researching industry best practices and staying up-to-date on analytical practices; developing innovative solutions, processes, and techniques; evaluating and recommending vendor products and services; integrating third-party solutions into current processes; developing and recommending process standards and best practices to drive consistency across the enterprise; and mentoring peers and analysts across the division in analytical best practices.
- Consults with business stakeholders on data-based insights by serving as the data science subject matter expert for the enterprise; developing enterprise-wide analytical strategies; identifying trends across the enterprise; translating results into actionable recommendations; identifying potential consequences to proposed plans and providing alternative recommendations; and presenting insights and recommendations to senior leadership.
- Leads analytic strategies for the company by collaborating across the enterprise to define long-term strategies and ensuring data analytical support to drive those strategies; collaborating with cross-functional leadership to ensure and influence alignment of business strategies with data and analytic strategies; aligning global strategies and ensuring translatability across geographic locations; analyzing business direction and identifying key insights needed; developing enterprise-level statistical models to drive business decisions; directing multiple project teams to determine project plans and direction; developing software tools and forecasting engines; building large datasets to support project goals; utilizing big data and mining technologies (for example, data mining and text mining); developing statistical models and algorithmic frameworks to analyze data; ensuring models and frameworks are applicable to future projects; utilizing exploratory data analysis to drive predictive modeling; building learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flow and offline data analysis; and presenting data insights and recommendations for business strategies to key stakeholders.
- Leads enterprise-wide analytic projects by working with key stakeholders to determine business opportunities; integrating global opportunities into one unified solution; translating opportunities into analytical formulations; aligning project plans across the enterprise to ensure consistency; leading project teams and delegating responsibilities; developing timelines for project execution; holding project team accountable for deliverables; developing complex algorithms to solve complex business problems; utilizing business knowledge to ensure data supports business strategies; developing recommendations based on data analysis; and presenting recommendations to key stakeholders while influencing future strategies based on insights.
- Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
- Make Sound Judgments
- Promote a Customer/Member-Focused Environment
- Optimize Execution and Results
- Advocate Planning and Continuous
- Influence and Communicate
- Promote Ethics and Compliance
- Demonstrate Adaptability
- Think and Act Strategically
- Promote Reputation and Social Responsibility
- Talent: Identify and Grow Talent
- Build Relationships
- Some travels domestically to and from multiple facilities or work-sites requiring consecutive overnight stays.
- D. or MS in Computer Science, Statistics, Computational Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, Operations Research, Mathematics or related fields.
- 8+ years of work and research experience / data science experience.
- Deep understanding of machine learning and interest in applying it at scale.
- Experience with data cleaning, preparation, and feature building and selection techniques.
- Experience working with large data sets to solve problems.
- Experience with Spark and/or Hadoop would be very helpful.
- Experience with deep learning library like TensorFlow and/or PyTorch is highly desirable.
- Experience with GPU Computing is highly advantageous.
- Prior hands-on experience with Python, Java or Scala and the ability to write reusable and efficient code to automate machine learning pipeline and data processes.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects while working independently and in teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
- 8+ years experience with statistical programming languages (for example, SAS, R).
- 8+ years experience with SQL and relational databases (for example, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server).
- 5+ years experience with big data analytics
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents