Business Development Manager, Sporting Goods
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1591809
What you'll do at
The Sporting Goods Walmart US E-commerce Team is looking for an individual who can thrive in a dynamic environment, demonstrate and foster creative thinking, and support Sporting Goods’ category vision and performance objectives.
As the eCommerce Business Development Manager for Sporting Goods, you will be responsible for leading the group’s exploration and landing of new business opportunities and for optimizing the value of key existing partnerships.
The role has three primary accountability areas:
Developing new partnerships that help expand the category’s relevance and stickiness in two key areas: brand/assortment sourcing and user experience.
Strengthening the impact of our partnerships in the Marketplace space.
Developing strategic partnerships that help Sporting Goods innovate its overall user experience in the Sporting Goods retail competitive set
This role will give you an opportunity both to drive into new revenue-generating space for the category and also to support the needs of a number of diverse subcategories by collaborating with the Category Specialists managing those businesses. You will report to the GM Sporting Goods and your responsibility may evolve to include managing Business Development Specialists.
You will work on the Sporting Goods leadership team and collaborate with an amazing group of Sporting Goods associates and cross-functional colleagues. You will have access to technology and tools to help you prospect and to analyze market opportunities and customer, partner, business and financial insights. We’re counting on you to share your knowledge and expertise with your team and foster a collaborative and supportive environment.
Business Development and Partnerships:
- Prospect and land new marketplace partners to extend the assortment and profitability of the Sporting Goods Category
- Work with Category Specialists to identify, divide-and-conquer, and land new brand partners that can close white space in the category assortment.
- Develop B2B strategy and prospect, partner and maintain vendor communications
- Develop strategic partnerships with affiliates, brands, licensors, data suppliers, influencers in support of overall Sporting Goods category vision and in collaboration with Category Managers for individual sports subcategories
- Team leadership for contract negotiation and supplier onboarding: owning the process for key prospects, and supporting the process for the entire team.
Marketplace Growth and Standard-Setting:
- Leads Sporting Goods’ marketplace channel development initiative to improve SG’s marketplace performance by…
- Leading the development of key, strategicnew marketplace relationships, onboarding 3-5 per year.
- Expanding the overall volume of marketplace partners
- Developing marketplace strategic plan to improvement of Sporting Goods’ performance
- Serving as SME for all Marketplace accountabilities held by Category Specialists, guiding them to optimize performance of sellers that are aligned with their sub-category
- Ensuring a high level of compliance by sellers in the marketplace channel
- Collaborates with other Sporting Goods team members and cross-functional partners
- Collaborates with external business partners and vendors Drives the execution of multiple projects and initiatives
- Collaborates with the Marketplace Channel team to on initiatives and actions to drive marketplace performance.
- Coach team members and provide feedback to enhance skills, knowledge and work performance.
- Builds and leads a team to execute on business area or category objectives.
- Have performance and career development conversations.
- Maintains team motivation and engagement.
- Mentors Associate Strategy
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates.
- Bachelor degree in business or related field or equivalent experience
- Five years of relevant experience
- At least 3-4 years of experience in a retail environment preferred
- Strong influence and persuasion skills
- High level of resilience
- High level of attention to detail paired with an ability to think big-picture and operate strategically
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working in a collaborative environment; able to work effectively both with Junior colleagues and Senior Leaders/Managers
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines
The Walmart US eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents