Staff Software Engineer
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area Engineering
- Job Function Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1480388
What you'll do at
We need super smart engineers from all levels to help us build one of the best engineered e-commerce platform in the world (big talk we know, but that is our goal!). We are looking to bring more intellectually curious engineers who are passionate about technology in general (Walmart is a technology first company and prides itself on its culture of learning and knowledge sharing and we want all our engineers to be as passionate as we are!)
What you will be Working on
Our platform is largely an event driven platform implemented via a microservice architecture. The platform runs in the cloud and uses a large number of technologies and middle ware. The bulk of backend code is written in the Java & functional style (F#) and our system of record is an event sourced system (essentially a log of all actions on the platform). We use a mix of Kafka, Redis, Elastic Search, Azure SQL, Event Store and Azure Storage for our data stores.
What you will do:
- Responsible for the design, implementation, testing, deployment, and operations of fault- tolerant, scalable, and maintainable low-latency, high-throughput distributed systems.
- Shares ownership of overall team productivity with the Engineering Manager.
- You take Pride in mentoring Junior and other Senior engineers.
- Understands both the “what” and the “why” of our core technical/architectural principles.
- Empowers engineers to work with as much autonomy as possible by clearly and effectively communicating technical principles and decision criteria.
- Guides and mentors’ engineers to effective decisions when needed.
- Responsible for the operational excellence of the system, ensures that effective metrics, KPIs, and diagnostics are identified, tracked and widely understood.
- Works with Product Managers to ensure that technical strategic needs are accounted for and reflected in the roadmap.
- Takes a visible and active leadership role in large-scale strategic cross-team initiatives.
What you will have :
- Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field and over 8 years of software engineering experience.
- Demonstrated expert level experience in one or more modern programming languages.
- Experience with and demonstrated understanding of high-throughput, low-latency, fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience with public cloud, preferably Azure
- Deep understanding of concurrency, asynchronous and reactive programming concepts.
- We love engineers experienced with OO(Java, C# or C++) or functional programming( F#, Scala) or engineers willing to learn a new language, we love you too!)
- Understands the importance of operations in production systems (logging, telemetry, alerting etc.)
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
The Walmart US eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimaging the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents