Principal Data Scientist, eCommerce Transportation
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Career Area Supply Chain and Logistics
- Job Function Transportation
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1419183
What you'll do at
The Principal Data Scientist, Transportation, will lead various projects that deliver future operational strategies across Walmart’s e-Commerce Supply Chain. The Principal Data Scientist will be primarily responsible for leading advanced analytical modeling, simulation and optimization projects. He/she will support our strategic plans, both creating and implementing strategic operational improvements to enable expansion of our business’s scope and scale. This role is part of the Walmart eCommerce Transportation Analytics & Network Design team – a future-focused, action-biased, data-driven team chartered with defining the next generation transportation network by leveraging big data. This is a high-impact and high-visibility role within the organization with expectations to deliver immediate results.
A Principal Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets, developing custom models and authoring deployable algorithms. Principal Data Scientists typically work within project teams to provide technical and analytical leadership. Principal Data Scientists are often responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources. Principal Data Scientists are also responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology and analytical methods in their assigned projects.
- Manage and execute entire projects from start to finish including cross-functional project management, data gathering and manipulation, analysis and modeling, and communication of insights and recommendations.
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and creativity when developing solutions to improve existing business processes within supply chain utilizing methods such as statistical analysis, regression modeling and optimization.
- Work independently to manage multiple projects at once while ensuring deadlines are met and data output is accurate and appropriate for the business. Must also be able to deal with ambiguity and make independent decisions about what data and approach is best for the task at hand.
- Build scalable and complex supply chain models and processes to optimize supply chain strategies with goals to deliver excellent customer experience while balancing operating cost and asset efficiency.
- Identify areas of opportunity and drive results partnering with cross functional partners
- Develop relationships with Wal-Mart functional areas in San Bruno, CA, as well as in Bentonville, AR, to identify best practices, solicit input/data, coordinate inter-disciplinary initiatives and to gather support for recommendations
- Potential projects can include:
- Develop optimization logic and tool to determine truckload lane strategy for outbound transportation balancing cost and SLA requirements
- Work at the intersection of Inventory management and Transportation to define the item channel decision and mirroring strategy to drive customer offer and cost
- Masters in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Operations Management or Supply Chain Management
- 6+ years of post-graduate work experience, including demonstrated success in leading business analysis projects to achieve business-impacting results
- Extensive experience in one or more supply chain domains and related information systems – distribution/transportation, sourcing, planning, manufacturing and inventory management
- Experience with large data set mining tools and open-source programming tools, (e.g., R, Python, HiveQL, Spark)
- Experience with network modeling tools and network optimization techniques - long range planning is a plus
- Experience with statistical analysis, regression modeling, data mining, financial analysis, and optimization.
- Expert in MS-Excel and SQL
- Competent in MS-PowerPoint and comfortable building presentation materials to tell a clear story
- Ability to foster successful partnerships within cross-functional teams
- Effective communication skills at multiple levels of the organization, including senior management - ability to communicate complex concepts in easy-to-understand terminology
- Ability to champion ideas and influence the organization with fact-driven recommendations
- Strong follow-through skills and acute attention to detail
- Foster and maintain Walmart's four core values:
- Act with Integrity
- Respect for the Individual
- Service to our Customers
- Strive for Excellence
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Operations Management or Supply Chain Management
- Retail e-commerce industry experience
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents