Category Manager, Team and Individual Sports
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1302360
What you'll do at
About the Role:
• Develop assortment, pricing, merchandising, marketing & product strategies to deliver to sales & profit goals & grow market share for your category.
• Drive team of category specialists to execute your strategies & iterate as needed, using effective communication & clear strategies.
• Determine white space in assortment/brands & secure partnerships to cover these using national brands or private brand partners.
• Own vendor relationships & strategically drive vendors to create unique assortments, deliver best-in-market pricing & ensure fast delivery.
• Build aspirational product stories & marketing assets, working with marketing partners to build traffic drivers for distinct customer profiles.
• Build best-in-class item content for entire assortment through efficient item set-up management.
- Ensures online presence supports desired shopper/customer experience for products within a moderately-to-highly complex category across multiple websites, including product presentation, content, customer reviews and enhancements.
Market Positioning and Analytics:
- Manages analysis for a moderately-to-highly complex category, including themes and competitive landscape, to stay on the cutting edge of product and eCommerce advancements impacting own category
- Understands category site selection and product gaps in the category; works with team to close gaps
- Continually evolves the category’s assortment strategy and logistics experience by leveraging analytics and through in-market expertise
- Owns and optimizes the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers, and manages warehouse inventory levels for directly-sourced product
- Supports GM in developing data-driven business plan for a moderately-to-highly complex category with tangible execution steps
- Manages budgets, sets priorities and implements savings opportunities
- Ensures achievement of category financial targets (e.g. GMV and margin), and identifies (and executes upon) levers to achieve those targets
- Supports GM in managing P&L
- Manages all performance metrics for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of all item set up to ensure product line is accurately depicted in multiple systems for sales tracking for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Monitors product and category performance to identify improvement area and develops plans to drive enhanced results
- Demonstrates expertise in multiple systems and sites throughout the category
- Defines success for a moderately-to-highly complex category and engages team to deliver business results consistent with category strategy
- Works with GM to ensure vision and strategy are aligned with the broader organization; Supports GM with strategy development as needed
- Negotiates product costs, volume, etc. with brands for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Ensures proper distribution and pricing across warehouses and distributors for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Develops partnerships with retailers for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Develops deep expertise in inventory Management, Planning, and Site Merchandising as key to customer experience ownership for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Works with editors, writers and content sources to ensure category has the appropriate content, reviews and shop-ability features
- Collaborates with marketing team around category promotions
- Builds and leads a team to execute on business area or category objectives
- Coaches team members and provides feedback to enhance skills, knowledge and work performance
- Has performance and career development conversations
- Maintains team motivation and engagement
- Mentors Category Specialists
- Empowers associates within a moderately-to-highly complex category to execute their tasks and make decisions by trusting their capabilities, expertise and encouraging learning
- Encourages and helps others to improve on current ways of working, promotes new and innovative ideas and recognizes/rewards good ideas
Who You Are:
• You are a world-class operator and possess a unique combination of business acumen, product knowledge, analytical skills and problem-solving abilities.
• You can drive results and solve problems in fun and creative ways.
• You love data and have a strong analytical bent with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
• You are a Team builder: You are a strong coach and mentor with a track record of building, driving and managing a high performing team.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, retail or related field and 3 years’ experience in business, retail or related field OR 5 years of experience in business, retail or related field.
• 2 years supervisory experience
• 6+ years of proven experience in merchandise, forecasting and product selection
• 4-5 years managing an ecommerce business, with specific experience related to marketing and site optimization
• 2-3 years developing strong business relationships with vendors and industry leaders
• 1-2 years’ experience managing and maintaining an open-to-buy
• MBA preferred
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents